winter feeding cycle...

dga

Reaction score
i can find plenty of info on how not to feed goldfish during a midwest winter in the pond, but no information on "how long can goldfish can go safely without eating until spring"?
its almost 45 degrees in the pond now, i have been feeding wheat germ pellets since around 55 degrees. as this is my first overwinter with fish, im not sure when water temps will be back at 45 degrees in the spring so i can start feeding again. this 90 gallon is 18 inches deep so i have a submersible heater and an airpump now installed for a michigan winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi dga, I'm in the Midwest too. You don't need to feed your fish until the temp is consistently over 50 degrees. Coming out of the winter their resistance is down and feeding them too soon can result in high levels of ammonia and nitrites in the pond. This is especially true if you are just starting up your bio-filter or did a spring cleaning. There is plenty in the pond for them to eat until then because their metabolism is lower. Don't be fooled by one or two warm days! Everyone worries about the winter but really the spring is the tricky part.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
it does seem a long time for them to be without food ... but i have had my goldies for 8 years now and they all survive... are you also covering your pond as its rather small, as i think you have bad winters there dont you ?

Reaction score
Why not bring your fish inside for the winter? You can get a 100 gallon stock tank and give your fishies more room than they have now. Your pond is pretty small for a northern winter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
shakaho said:
Why not bring your fish inside for the winter? You can get a 100 gallon stock tank and give your fishies more room than they have now. Your pond is pretty small for a northern winter.

TSC (tractor supply comp.) has a 110 gal stock tank for $60.00.....

my fish winter indoors in a 800 gal pond:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
But will they ship it and what is that cost? When I looked into buying one a few years ago, I found out they didn't ship those. I'm not sure if it was this place or Tek Supply.

dga

Reaction score
yep, im covering the pond with a piece of plywood with a 12" square cut out section for a piece of lexan afixed with nylon bolts in the middle so as i can see the bubbles from the air pump to make sure its working 24/7. i allready have a submersible heater and a backup airpump both electric and battery. a remote temperture sending unit to monitor water temps. but still dont havre the answer to the question of how many moths can a 6 -8 inch goldfish survive until spring temps are suitable. as the pond is this small i have vacummed it thourghly so there wont be a ammonia spike over the winter from vegatation. i have had a reef tank for many years and understand biological and chemical water parameters very well, as i test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, calcium, alkalinity, tds,magnesium, ph. etc... but much of this can't prepare one for an outdoor pond. it has been succsesfully set up for two years now. 2 goldfish around the above givin length. never a water issue. if i stop feeding now, they will have to go approx 5 months b4 the first feedings. (this is my guess). cost is not an issue with me compaired to what the fish cost, its the challenge to properly overwinter the fish so they remain healthy AND alive next spring. we shall see...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi dga, 5 months is no big deal for them. They can nibble on algae, bugs, snails, worms, or anything else that finds its way into the pond. They are in actuality living in their own buffet. I put lights on for a few hours at night around the pond and the fish are happy to eat any bug that lands on the water. Believe me they have plenty of natural food and don't need the stuff you buy in the store until things warm up. Also because their metabolism is slower in cold water they don't need much.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
my fish wont see spring again till mid april if im lucky ... i am still feeding mine a little as water is just above 50 ..so its about 5 months for them without food, have had them about 8 years so they do survive that long without food okay

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DrDave said:
But will they ship it and what is that cost? When I looked into buying one a few years ago, I found out they didn't ship those. I'm not sure if it was this place or Tek Supply.
dga lives in Michigan, TSCs are located all over ...he/she should be able to find one within driving distance.. if they dont have one at the closest location they will ship between stores and usually have it in 3 days

Ask a Question