Winter Feeding Practices???

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone recommend some winter feeding practices? I have 4 small koi (about 2.5"). I am currently feeding them a couple pinches of flakes once a day. They are in a 95 gallon pond. The water temp is about 65 degrees F. I have read that you should stop feeding them for the winter when the water temp gets below 55 degrees F. The article I read said that their digestive system slows down in colder water and that feeding them below 55 could harm them. I don't have any outdoor pond experience, so I am not sure. I was planning on using a de-icer over the winter to keep the surface thawed but I am sure the water team will go below 55F, so I am looking for recommendations on how to handle feeding for the winter. Thanks!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
From my web site:

Your Koi will stop eating, and you should stop feeding, between 50 and 55 degrees F.

Small Koi will eat at lower temperatures than your adult Koi.

If you continue to feed below these temperatures, you will poison your pond.

The digestive system stops working at lower temperatures. Your Koi will do fine without food.

Reaction score
You said it all DrDave. In cold climates there is no feeding program because there is no feeding. If they are healthy they will come through in good shape.

Reaction score
I don't feed my fish unless it's 55 degrees or higher...you can usually tell b/c they become active around the pond imo.

Reaction score
Since your koi are still relatively small I would only feed the little guys about 3times a week. I can't really tell you too much, but my feeders being somewhat similar and just as hardy as koi are only fed about 3 times a week in my 80 gal pond. Their condtion is just great.:icon_mrgreen:

Ask a Question