Winter feeding, protein

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I am in the Phoenix, AZ metro area zone 9b. We get a few frosts a year, usually in Dec and Jan. The pond temp is now at 55 F and I don't see it getting too much lower.

I have searched archives and current forums relative to winter feeding plus I had a pond in Michigan where it froze every year and I had to worry about keeping the surface open for air exchange; obviously I didn't feed in the winter.

This is new to me, a pond that doesn't freeze in the winter. Reducing the feeding schedule and watching fish for activity is all well and good, but my question revolves around how much protein can a goldfish's digestive system handle when temperatures are between 50 & 55 F?

They do have "winter" food for sale...Is this preferable to normal Goldfish food with protein in the 30% range or does it really matter that much? Or is there some homemade/natural food (I'm thinking produce, like lettuce) that would be better?

Thanks
Ed

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would suggest that you look to Nature. In their natural environment Goldfish eat crustaceans and insects (when available) and algae and plants. So generally speaking their natural diet is not specifically high in protein though some is, of course, necessary. In ponds where the water temperature does not drop below 40F, some protein should always be part of a Goldfish diet. At water temps between 40F and 50F, I would recommend a low protein food supplements occasionally with brine shrimp or some other similar protein food.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I look at water temps. to help me decide what to feed .I found they like krill and spirulina and freeze dried krill .I get a good mix off ebay

Ask a Question