Winter feeding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I’m going to try keeping my goldfish in the pond again this year I lost them all last year when the pond froze over. I have a bubbler in the pond this year as well as the heat ring that froze over last year. My question is should I feed the fish since the pond is still open?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, not until spring when the water warms up. I’m in zone 9a and my water temp is hovering right around 60 F., so I feed once in the afternoon. When the water temp drops below 60 F. I don’t feed at all. The Goldie’s do nibble on the algae on a nice day though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thank you, that’s kind of what I thought but I didn’t want to starve the little guys. I can’t see them but I’m guessing they’re staying far away from the bubbler since it’s a bit over powered for my pond and is acting more like a geyser than a bubbler. thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thank you for the reply, I didn’t get fancy, I just reduced the feeding amount over the last 3 weeks and then stopped feeding as the temps really started to deep. Perhaps I will try a wheat germ food next year should my fish survive this winter.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you for the reply, I didn’t get fancy, I just reduced the feeding amount over the last 3 weeks and then stopped feeding as the temps really started to deep. Perhaps I will try a wheat germ food next year should my fish survive this winter.
I use wheat germ fish food in the Spring once the water temperature reaches 39F-40F.
When it gets up to 50F I switch to growth/color food.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Is there a special place to find wheat germ food? I didn’t know there was such a thing
Nothing special. All the manufacturers make at least wheat germ, growth and/or color foods. Some have even more choices, but those are the basic ones. The ingredients are usually listed so you can see the percentages. Some even sell different size pellets, small, medium, large and mixtures too depending on the size of your fish.

All fish food can get expensive, so you'll have to shop around.

Ask a Question