Winter hyacinths a success!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
It finally stopped snowing here and the temperatures have shot up. My pond temp was at 60F this morning, with the overnight lows expected to only be in the 50's, so I decided to put out the first few hyacinths in my filter this morning. By this evening when I got back home, the pond temps were up to 70, so I put some more hyacinths out in the other filter. :) My tub is packed full with more than double the number of plants that survived being taken inside last Fall, and they've been thick and healthy.

I figured if I get some of them outside now, it will make room for the indoor plants to grow even more. Also I'm having a horrible time with the clump algae this year, so hopefully the hyacinths will start sucking up the nutrients, since obviously my bacteria hasn't kicked in yet in the filters.

At the local rate of $5 a plant, I easly have $100 worth of plants ready to go here... probably one of the largest starter batches I've ever had.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wish I could say that, but from neglect mine died .I just did not have the time with the hospital and doctor visits .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Sissy, sorry to hear that! Hope you're doing better? (I haven't been around the forum much lately.)

FWIW, the only trouble I had was at one point noticing my plants were getting spindly... I eventually noticed one of my light fixtures had gone out. Replaced the bad bulb and got all four shining again, and the plants perked right up. I have been using four 48" fluorescent bulbs with a 6500k output, doing a partial water change every 2 weeks (mostly for the fish), and adding a bit of fertilizer at every water change. If it weren't for the fish, I could probably do water changes once a month.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was not me but my hubby he had a heart attack and then 3 surgeries .I was sad to loose my plants, they have been around over 5 years now but glad you had success .It does take work but well worth it when you have plants and don't have to pay for them .I called the nursery where I got new plants last year and he has them for 5 dollars a bag full again so have to take the new puppy to the vets so will stop and pick some up .

Ask a Question