Winter in zone 6B

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
This will be our first winter with the koi pond. I intend to buy an aerator and a debris net for the fall. I have two pond pumps - one for the waterfall and one for the bog filter. Do I leave them both running all winter long or do I need to shut them off at some point? I live in Massachusetts and we definitely have some cold spells.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your fairly close to me, I do shut my pumps down and just run the air pump for the winter. I do let mine run as long as I can. I usually go into late December. One year I was only down for 2 weeks I believe. I will play it by the weather. I do move my air pump closer to the surface.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may need a deicer as koi need lots of air and a opening in the ice helps .Glad I live in VA now ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Your fairly close to me, I do shut my pumps down and just run the air pump for the winter. I do let mine run as long as I can. I usually go into late December. One year I was only down for 2 weeks I believe. I will play it by the weather. I do move my air pump closer to the surface.
Thanks for the reply. What kind of air pump... is that the same as the aerator? Do you take the pumps out for the winter or leave them at the bottom? (My pond is a little over 3.5 feet deep). I buried the wires under rocks so if I can leave the pumps in the pond overwinter that would be great but I can remove them with a little effort.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. What kind of air pump... is that the same as the aerator? Do you take the pumps out for the winter or leave them at the bottom? (My pond is a little over 3.5 feet deep). I buried the wires under rocks so if I can leave the pumps in the pond overwinter that would be great but I can remove them with a little effort.

I was going to buy this if you had any advice or suggestions:

Attachments

• B97D66DB-1137-493F-AD5A-3E87F2E340E0.jpeg
    B97D66DB-1137-493F-AD5A-3E87F2E340E0.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use this and have been very happy
Airmax KoiAir1 Water Garden Aeration Kit, Single Plate

I do leave my pumps in the pond over the winter. I do remove it from the skimmer and put it in the deeper part.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to buy this if you had any advice or suggestions:
I use the pond breather, have for years, it works great. I do put in a small pump in the shallow end of my pond to keep some liquid water for the birds to drink. It keeps a small hole open in the water.
The 1000 gallon pond only gets the pond breather.
The hot tub pond will have a pond breather this year.

Very low on electricity use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was thrilled to buy a second Pond Breather for $19 earlier this summer from Foster's and Smith :) I run both Pond Breather and small air pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For as little as I run my pond heater I figured I would stay with it .The switch inside the house to turn it on and off helps .Plus I know it is working when I see the opening .I think that pond breather would scare me .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I was thrilled to buy a second Pond Breather for $19 earlier this summer from Foster's and Smith :) I run both Pond Breather and small air pump.

I'm on the website now, but confused by all the options! Would you mind sending me a link to what item you bought?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they are sold out it was in the clearance section and I happen to see it and told every one on here a couple of months ago

Ask a Question