Winter Pond Cover

Reaction score
I've been terribly impressed by all the winter covers you folks have been building in the last month. I popped mine back up on my pond just a few weeks ago as I noticed the leaves coming down.

Instead of PVC, this year I decided to use 1/2" CPVC because it has a bit more flex to it (it's usually in the next aisle over from regular PVC at the home improvement store. You will notice that it's not pure white like standard PVC, it has a bit of a ivory or off-white appearance. The reason I am using this material is because my pond is a free-form shape, so I need to allow for lots of bend to account for the curves I'd need to be following. I just got the necessary tees and elboes to connect everything (without gluing them so I could take it apart easily and use it again next year).

Here we go:

CIMG2481.jpg

You can see I used those plastic zipties to keep my netting in place, and to keep the center poles from separating (cheaper than using a tee or elbow in this area, too):

CIMG2483.jpg

I was even able to incorporate my smaller upper pond into the netting as well:

CIMG2482.jpg

This is the netting I used. Got it from my local home improvement store. I think it was around $5/US. Since my water temp is still around 60 degrees, I am still feeding the fish and just toss the food through the net. It just falls right through the openings:

CIMG2484.jpg

I think the whole thing cost me around $20/US. When the real cold comes I'll just toss an opaque tarp over the whole thing right before I shut down all my equipment. I figure I've still got another month to 6 weeks before I have to to do that. Some years I've kept the filter going until the end of the year. It will all depend on the weather. So far, yesterday, we still had a 75 degree day. It gets chilly at night and in the mornings, but warms up nicely in the afternoon. Gotta love Carolina living!

Reaction score
I'm jealous...it's nicely done, koikeeper. If the tubing came in black it would nearly disapeer!
Do you get ice at all? I think "Carolina" i think basking on a porch drinking iced tea,,,

Reaction score
I said the same thing to my hubby about the color. Next year I think I'll spray paint it black with krylon plastic spray.

About 3 years ago, I did get a very thin cap of ice a time or two, but I simply cracked it with a stick. Our winters are definitely mild, and days typically hover in the 45-50 degree mark during mid-day, but it can get chilly in the evenings. Typically, the pond is only shut down for about 8-10 weeks tho.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might want to use a paint made by Plasticoat. They make paints for your plastic interior, like a dash board in a car. I used it on my '81 truck 10 years ago and it still looks fresh.

I used the Krylon to hide my white pipes coming from my upper pond and it is already peeling off a year later. I didn't prep it so that may have made the difference.

Reaction score
Great advice! I love it when someone can provide insight on a product tested long-term! Appreciate it, doc! I'll make sure to use plasticoat instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use chain link fence railings.

Attachments

• pond-cover.jpg
    pond-cover.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,439
  • pond-cover-inside.jpg
    pond-cover-inside.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,466
Reaction score
Koikeeper, I bought that same netting from Lowes only I bought mine on a 100 ft. roll for $10.00. It was not wide enough so my Son and I measured the length we needed x 2 and set it side by side. We then took some fishing line and did a simple sewing stitch. I have a big plastic sewing needle to sew it with. Worked out good, but in one spot I stretched it to hard and it came apart. No problem. I will re-sew it.

Reaction score
Koi Keeper, what type of evergreens are in these photos at the sides of your pond? I love the way they spread out and over the pond.

Reaction score
is there a reason you guys cover it for the winter? Are the ponds not deep enough??? just wondering? I live in TN and winters can get a bit harsh but not for extreme periods of time. But i made it 3 ft deep and fish were fine.

Just wondering guys! thanks!

i agree black spray paint and you would barely know it was there

Reaction score
I'm your neighbor and live in NC. I have a cover on to prevent leaves and debris in the fall/winter/early spring. Even if you don't have trees immediately around you (I do), you'd be surprised what comes flying on the wind like seed pods and the like.

With a cover, you don't have to worry about getting all that settled muck out in the spring. You just take off you cover, put it away for the next fall season and voila! Leaves, seed pods and such that settle in the pond over winter just decompose and create a huge mess and just create a poisonous environment for the fish.

Ask a Question