Winter pond maintenance

Reaction score
Great tunes.

How the hell did he get in there?
He, or rather she, slipped in through the 3" bottom drain in the pond. I would have left her in the settling tank but I wanted to flush it and didn't want to take a chance of her getting stuck in the drain which is only 1 1/4"

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He looked fat and healthy and had a warm place to vacation for winter and you destroyed his vacation

Reaction score
He looked fat and healthy and had a warm place to vacation for winter and you destroyed his vacation
It's a she actually. And she better be fat, we spent a small fortune on mealworms and cricket for our frogs this year.
If she finds her way back to the settling tank again I'll probably leave her there till spring. Once they (this includes the fish) are in there is no way they can get back to the pond without my help. By returning them to the pond it gives them a choice, if it was an accident getting sucked down the bottom drain and into the settling tank and they don't like it there when I return them to the pond they can hopefully learn to avoid it, but if they'd rather be in the settling tank, well, they know how to get there. And they do learn. First couple years I had lots of small fish ending up in the settling tank and the occasional frog. Now it's rare to find a fish in there and it seems the only time the frogs end up in there is in the winter or early spring when they are in their winter stupor and probably not thinking clearly.

Ask a Question