Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Re: Calling all 1, 2 and 3s

DrCase said:
Bump .... This post is to share your northern winter pond care tips

You may want to change his title to Calling for all zone 1, 2 and 3 winter pond tips.

that will catch attention better.

Reaction score
Re: Calling all 1, 2 and 3s

Last year I built a cold frame around my pond. Kinda like a mini greenhouse. I plan on doing the same thing again next week. I will take some photos and post them. I am in Milwaukee, WI. I think I'm zone 4 or 5, not quite as cold as a 1, 2, or a 3, but we still get some pretty cold temps.

Last year the cold frame worked really well. I actually kept the pond nearly ice free all winter. In comparison all of the small natural ponds and rivers by my house were frozen thick enough to walk on if not completely frozen through.

The version I built last year was just a series of PVC pipes anchored to the ground and hooped over to the other side. Then I put some 4 mil plastic over it and held it down with rocks. I will be trying to build a "better" version this year. Hopefully with some kind of "door" so that I can check on things a little better. Maybe I'll make it tall enough so I can go inside and enjoy my pond in subzero temps...

Here's my original post about last years cover. There are some pics.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-winter-cover-t4752.html

Ask a Question