Winter Prep Bio filter in a Barrel?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built my bio filter in a barrel using “Ozpond”method. Large rocks in barrel decreasing in size as u get to the top. There is pvc from top to bottom with a bottom drain. It has worked amazingly well. I wondered if I should drain the barrel so it doesn’t freeze and crack over the winter. I live in Indiana and winters can be quite harsh. I plan to run a small pump for aeration thru out winter. Appreciate input. Thank you.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would drain to be on the safe side. Even if the barrel did not crack your drain valve likely would if water was left in it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1662049545400.gif
@Pondmaster8364

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I agree, leave the drain valve open. I had a heavy duty knife valve crack because I left it closed and it froze.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. I think I will let it run as long as I can, maybe middle of November. Then remove pump and drain bio filter barrel thru bottom barrel drain. Hopefully all pipes will drain so they don’t crack. Also hope barrel doesn’t expand with wet rocks and crack. Thanks for your input.

Ask a Question