winter prep????

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for types, or brands of relieable heaters,deicers and areators. This will be are first winter with our new pond. Other than pulling out the pump what else should be done when the snow starts to fly ?? Pond is appox. 5500gal. 3ft. deep 12 koi. Also i installed a ball valve next to the bio-falls should this be drained and what about the 2" line running from the skimmer to the falls will it freeze?? Lots of questions . We are in zone 5 Thanks..;):banana::cold::cold:

Reaction score
I'm in zone 5, too. I don't de-ice. I bought a Dolphin AV-50 airpump and have air discs in each pond. They will run all winter and keep a hole open in the pond for de-gassing.

Your pipes should be emptied of water for winter where possible, yes. Though, of course, schedule 40 pipe runs all throughout a home in winter/heat conditions. But I always try to dump water out of the pipes/skimmers/filters/etc.

Reaction score
I too am in zone 5. I use a air pump in my pond and it keeps it pretty open all winter. I cut back and put all my marginal plants in the deepest part of my pond before the first freeze and drain all my tubing.

Reaction score
im going to try to keep a falls going all winter...its probably not a great idea, but if something goes wrong I will use an air pump I guess.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i know we dont get it anywhere near as cold here in the uk ...but i keep my filters and pumps going all winter and a couple of air stones ...is it ok to keep it all running

Reaction score
Ya, the thing to worry about is ice building up in lines and breaking or killing your pump. My only concern is it building up on the waterfall stone and diverting the water out of the pond. I dint think it will matter thou as I will just keep an eye on it and stuff. maye using a second weir that goes all the way to the lip of the stone made of HDPE that would not get as cold as easily as the huge stone.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Most people are aware of this. But for those who are not, water expands when it freezes. Pipes made from plastic can burst and you won't know this till the spring when you start up those lines.

DrCase posted a message about having a valve at the lowest point so he could drain his lines in the winter.

Just thought I would toss this out for anyone planning ahead.

Reaction score
yeah, i wouldn't keep the falls going. I tried once to keep the pump/filter going into winter and there really is no point as the bacteria does not survive, etc.

What do you hope to get outta keeping your falls going? Just get a cheap air pump...you'll be better off.

Reaction score
Up here in WI.They use a areator and a deicer is there a type or a brand that is better or more reliable than the rest?? Also what size should i be looking for?

Ask a Question