Winter Season

Reaction score
Hello, I live in Canada and everyone knows how cold it can be here during the winter. I was wondering if I need to bring my koi inside because it can read up to -30 degrees celcius in Canada here. Also, my pond is only about 4 feet deep and I don't think it will be enough. Also, if I have to bring the koi inside, what time would be appropriate to bring them in (before they go into hibernation mode).

Thanks.

Reaction score
In New York - zone 7 - if your pond is deeper than 2 feet, fish are o.k. Find out what the "freeze line" is where you are. Also, you can just turn off any pumps - so you don't circulate cold water to the bottom - & be sure to keep a hole clear when the pond freezes. There has to be some circulation of air or the fish can suffocate. The only rule I know about temperatures is to stop feeding fish when water goes below 56 F or so - their metabolism slows & they can explode from undigested food.

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the advice. I think the freezing line in Canada's around 4 meters, which is why fence posts have to be dug deeper in the ground than 4 meters. Also, if I turn off my filter, would it be a good idea to have an air stone, or two, in there? Or would that circulate the warmer water near the bottom and cold water on the top too much?

Reaction score
Mine is a very small pond with 3 fish & I take out aerating plants in winter since they'd rot. I don't use an air stone or any aeration in the cold weather & I turn off the waterfall. The fish supposedly stay mainly towards the bottom where the water is significantly warmer. As I said, their metabolism slows - although they do eat algae, etc. & often grow & gain weight over the months between Halloween & Easter even though I don't feed them. (Depressing thought for people on diets, eh?) Helen Nash in "The Pond Doctor" says that, so long as there's a hole in any ice so that gases can get out, the fish should be fine.

Reaction score
I agree with the advice from "The Pond Doctor" (available on my site) that as long as there is a hole open fish can survive. If you do bring them in do it slowing and before the freeze. Koi and do jump so cover any holding containers. Using a deicer or heater is a great idea. Air pumps or Happy Fish pond palaces do double duty in the winter and summer keeping the oxygen levels up. Put your pump up on a crate or something that keeps the bottom foot of water undisturbed. Visit the articles on my site for even more fall care tips. Happy ponding, Gail

Ask a Question