Winter shut down

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone advise me to when you turn off the pump/streams/falls for the winter? I usually wait until we get days consistently below or at freezing. I live in NE Ohio so the time of year varies. IDK if there’s a rule of thumb.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, I can’t help you, but I know some on here do and some don’t. I’m in Louisiana, so my stuff always runs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@donny young - if what you have been doing has been working, I wouldn't worry about changing.

We keep our pond running all winter long, so it's not something I actually worry about. I get everything cleaned up and ready for winter before Thanksgiving - some years that's perfect... other years it's just a bit too late! As you know in the midwest when winter "starts" can be anywhere from late October (like last year, when we had six inches of snow on Halloween!) to mid-December... we had 70 degrees here near Chicago just 10 days ago! So there's no way to pick a date and stick with it from year to year if you are hoping to let the pond run as long as possible. For most people it works best to pick a day when you can still work outside, before it gets too cold or snowy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@donny young - if what you have been doing has been working, I wouldn't worry about changing.

We keep our pond running all winter long, so it's not something I actually worry about. I get everything cleaned up and ready for winter before Thanksgiving - some years that's perfect... other years it's just a bit too late! As you know in the midwest when winter "starts" can be anywhere from late October (like last year, when we had six inches of snow on Halloween!) to mid-December... we had 70 degrees here near Chicago just 10 days ago! So there's no way to pick a date and stick with it from year to year if you are hoping to let the pond run as long as possible. For most people it works best to pick a day when you can still work outside, before it gets too cold or snowy.
thank you for your insight. i have had issues with ice dams & water getting pumped out of the pond. i once came home from work to find the pump barely covered. i had to fill with 5 gal buckets, approximately 200 gallons. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you have fish, you'll have to keep a hole open when it freezes. I leave my bio falls run all year. Plus I have a trough deicer that keeps a hole open.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I shut all down, usually end of Oct, early Nov. External pump, large bog, not worth the worry about ice dams cooling the pond temp etc. I enjoy the running water down time. I do not have koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you answered your own question in when its below freezing your pond would be better off shut down the a pond breather in and see your fish in the spring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Can anyone advise me to when you turn off the pump/streams/falls for the winter? I usually wait until we get days consistently below or at freezing. I live in NE Ohio so the time of year varies. IDK if there’s a rule of thumb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
I have a 3000 gal pond with 10 large koi. I shut my pumps off about Nov. 1 and cover the pond with a homemade frame and clear reinforced poly. I also run 2 aerators using a Alita 15A pump which never shuts down. The clear poly acts as a hothouse and keeps the water from freezing. If the temps get real cold I use a heater but not very often. This system has worked for 10 years.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With the mild winter so far, my filters and pumps are still running. I wait till I get ice over half the pond to shut down my pumps. So. MD, zone 7

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I usually shut the pond down in November. I decide what day by determining when it is going to be too cold for me to work on it any more. ;)
In the winter I have an aerator and pond breather running. I like running the aerator because it keeps the ice thinner. Even though the temps are in the 20s-30s, my pond is ice free right now.
2020-2-17 kitchen.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am so glad I moved from NJ to Va at least it does not get as much snow or ice and if it does get it within hours it is gone most times .I don't like heat either so VA was a happy medium .I just hat it when the north decides to share their cold weather with us and it gets down to the 20's here .So far most days in the 50's or 60's now but had a few in the 30's and 40's .But those darn winds we get can be brutal .By the way cas love your bench

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@cas is that bonsai looking bust new i don't remember it or does the lilies usually hide it ? what is it

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@cas is that bonsai looking bust new i don't remember it or does the lilies usually hide it ? what is it
It's been there since 2005. :) It's called a sculpted scotch pine. Funny you should mention it. I just removed it. It was slowly dying back each year, no matter what I tried.

Ask a Question