winter

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 9ft x 4ft L shape pond. 3ft deep in short part, am wondering if I should turn water pump of during the winter season,never sure as this is the filter for the pond also.
Any advice be gratefully recieved, I have 15 fish in pond at moment A good reed plant established at one end.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most people turn on pumps (submersible) or air pumps to keep a hole in the ice, if your pond gets covered with ice. doing that allows gasses to escape that may harm your fish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hi sallyann58....this is the forum for intrducing yourself. giving some background on yourself, your pond, experience etc... if you look down the forum index you will see a forum just for "wintering ponds" that is where you should have posted this thread. if you read thru the threads on a certain subject you will likely find an answer to your question(s) without even needing to post new thread(s). not complaining just letting you know.....that said, welcome to the group.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-1-1.gif
Sally
I think I'm going to turn mine off this winter but I have left it run before. I think leaving it running makes the water colder for the fish,swirls it all together. They like to hunker down on the bottom where the warmer waters are. I do have some other smaller pumps that I leave running to keep holes in the ice and an air stone bubbling also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and I turn my pump off no real use for the filter in the winter as it could freeze and crack any temps that get below 20 degrees and most turn theres off and wait until spring and start up again .I even turn my waterfall off .

Ask a Question