Wintering black mollies

Reaction score
I have 3 large female black mollies that I put into my pond in early summer. I have found only 2 young mollies from these three which managed to escape the mosquito fish until they got large enough to no longer be considered food. I know the books all say that temperature must be between X and Y for tropicals, but I also know that most fish survive and often thrive outside of these parameters. Has anyone had experience wintering over black mollies in an unheated pond. I'm in Palm Springs, CA. Our winter temperatures sometimes fall to freezing, but rarely. Last winter the pond water was in the mid 50s during January. Do my mollies stand a chance?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know in VA they would not survive the winter .Temps here get down to 20 and 30 degrees once in awhile .

Reaction score
Thanks, Sissy

Yeah, our climate is a lot different from Virginia. I'd say our winter temperatures are more like Jacksonville or Tallahassee. Our summers are brutal with 3 months of days that might hit 115, but very low humidity, most of the time. Our average low temps in winter are in the mid to low 40's and average winter highs are in the high 60's to low 70's. I've lived here 15 years and I've actually seen puddles freeze over only twice in that time. I think I'll leave the mollies in and hope for the best.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
whats most important is how the water temps are not the outside air .You may need a pond thermometer so you can check the water temps and then just google black mollies and see if it may say what temps they will survive in .I some live in CA so they may know on here .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I live in south Louisiana and moillies rarely make it through the winter here. I set up a 15 gallon tank to hold some in through the winter each year.

Reaction score
The more I read, the more it appears that little research is done before writing. So far I have read that mollies require a temperature of 77 to 80, 72 - 82, 76-80, and a few more in that range. At present my water temperature is 62 and the mollies are as energetic and active as they were when it was 80. I guess I'm in uncharted territory here and will just test it and see if they make it, since I dont have the ability to try to winter them over inside. Thanks to all who replied. If anyone else in a similar climate has any experience with this, I'd love to chat with you.

Reaction score
Update on my mollies. Today the water temperature is 54 degrees. I could find two of the adult mollies, both were sluggish, but moving around. There are three of the babies about an inch long that are as energetic as they ever were, swimming with schools of mosquito fish, apparently suffering no ill effects from the cold water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have read that mollies can get ick if the water gets too chilly. Sounds like 54 is a bit low for their liking but will be interesting to see how they do if you continue to keep them outdoors. Hope they make it!

Ask a Question