Wintering my raised wooden hexagonal pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I stop feeding my pond fish at the end of Oct, also hoover all around the bottom of the pond trying to not upset the fish, I clean out the pump fountain of any build up of gunk. I clean my underwater lights (so I can check the fish) of any algae and check all the connections. Top up the pond water with pre treated water from my water storage butt, check for any dead or rotting plant foliage and remove them. Then place my netting back over the pond, then it’s time to check out my filtration and uv bulb chamber.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that it is spring, how did it all work out? How large is your pond? Is it completely above ground? Back when I had to winterize, I usually didn't do total cleaning at one time. I covered the pond to catch leaves and first 'hoovered' the bottom then a few days later, cleaned or winterized the filtration system (depending on the climate zone). I normally didn't stop feeding based on the calendar but stopped feeding when the water temperature was about 50 F.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Now that it is spring, how did it all work out? How large is your pond? Is it completely above ground? Back when I had to winterize, I usually didn't do total cleaning at one time. I covered the pond to catch leaves and first 'hoovered' the bottom then a few days later, cleaned or winterized the filtration system (depending on the climate zone). I normally didn't stop feeding based on the calendar but stopped feeding when the water temperature was about 50 F.
Hi Stephen, the pond is totally above ground, it’s not a large pond it’s only 175 gallons, I lined it with polystyrene then old carpet before inserting the moulded liner. Added the water and left it for 3 weeks, after the second week I connected the filtration and lights also loads of oxygenating plants and a few lilies, bullrushes and about 10 yellow flag iris ( the Rushes came to nothing showing only leaves, same the following year). Last but not least I fitted the fountain.

Ask a Question