Wintering Small Fantails

Reaction score
I've been researching the pros and cons of keeping Fantail Goldfish in an outdoor pond in a northern climate. And like many pond topics, the verdict seems split. Let me say however, that most winter care info has to do with Koi and other slim bodied fish.

This is my first winter with the fantails and I want to do what is best for their survival. I heard that because of their round bodies, they could have difficulty staying upright in the cold water. I also heard that they are very hardy. I heard that they should do fine if the pond is deep, my deepest level is ~3'.

Has anyone had experience leaving theirs outside all winter?

By the way, I plan to keep the falls running and only use a deicer in front of the skimmer if it really gets cold.

Reaction score
I am sorry that I can not help you with the fantails question. They are considered the third hardiest of the goldfish varieties, if that is any help (but you already knew that).

I would caution you about leaving the falls on all winter. I live in SE Pennsylvania so our winters might be similar. I leave the falls on as long as I can. Eventually the frozen “splash” area builds up to conditions that could threaten the construction of the pond. Also, the buildup could redirect some, or much, of the water outside your pond (I do not know what your fall/pond looks like). At this point I turn off the waterfall, pull the pump, filter and lava rock, plug in the deicer, and wish my fish the best until next spring.

Reaction score
I live in Utah and I keep a few fantails in the pond all winter they are in with the koi and do fine. The tiny ones are in the green house 85 gal tank for the winter. I heat it to 50 deg. If your pond stays warmer than mine they should have no problems.

Reaction score
Last year the pond never froze (I left the falls on) and I used a deicer a couple of times. Water temps were mid - high 30's. What temp was your pond?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pondlady
Why are you heating to 50 degrees? Koi stop digesting food at 55 degrees. So if you allow the water to drop to say 38 degrees, you will save a lot of money on heating costs and the fish will not know the difference. Keeping them that close to the temperature where their systems are on the edge of funtioning might be stressfull on them. Just a thought...

Reaction score
Because some of them do not have the body mass to survive the cold waters of winter. The tank also acts as a heater for the green house. I don't want them to completly stop eating. I guess the water could be warmer than 5o they stay active and eating all winter. I do see your point there, Heating the tank only costs pennies a month so no problem there. Ill kick up the heat a little. 3 koi from the pet store are all head not much body they need TLC to make it till spring.

Ask a Question