Wintering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my pond is a new one ,I have 6 parent fish and 8 fry. I know I must stop feeding soon but can I put anything in the pond to make it better for them. I don't have a pump I just refill every so long as it must have a tiny leak.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As long as there is something in there to nibble on (algae, plants….), they don’t need to be fed. Check your water temperatures and if you are getting consistently below 50-55F (around 10C?), the fish will be going into a state of hibernation and don’t need to eat. Do you have anything like “caves” (this can be just about anything that isn’t metal and doesn’t have sharp edges like flower pots turned on their side……) to give them cover in the pond? All I have in my pond are tons of underwater plants and a few upturned plastic crates for them to hide in/under. Basically, you want them to feel safe against predators (real or perceived), during this vulnerable time for them.

BTW, how big is your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI my pond is small 4x4ft and about 3-4 ft deep. I do have weeds in there ill put some things in there to let them hide thanks.

Ask a Question