Winterization? It's still Summer here for cyring out loud!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Well folks, here it is Christmas day and it's close to 11*C out there! I put in two aquarium heaters about 4 weeks ago plus 2 bubble curtains to keep the water moving. I can't believe the mare's tails are green and growing as we usually have ice on the surface of the pond by now. My water temp is still 10*C. Some of my water lillies are producing new leaves and the cattails are making green shutes! The warmest Christmas around here for years. We broke a 70 year old high temp record.

On another note, my wonderful wife bought me a GoPro cam, so I decided to give it a shot in my pond. Just a short clip, but let me introduce you to my fishies, and my "growing" mare's tails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Thanks :) I need a selfie stick for a better vid. Hard to reach much deeper than that from the "shore".... Small pond but the center is 3 1/2 ft deep. I'd like to have gotten the camera down there. Merry Christmas.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A belated Merry Christmas, Paul! Good to have you back! (y) I see your fish population has increased.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
A belated Merry Christmas, Paul! Good to have you back! (y) I see your fish population has increased.
John
And to you too John. Hope all is well :) All those thriving plants are thanks to you BTW. A few of those fish had to be rescued from my bottom pond (future bog) as it's so shallow. It freezes to the bottom when it's really cold. They managed to get down the little stream as fry. If they keep on reproducing like that, I'm going to have to start finding homes for some of them as I don't think the system is big enough to support many more. Here's another short clip under the water. I can't get over how warm it's been and I hope that won't adversely affect the plants too much. My darned cherry tree has buds already! Maybe no cherries this summer... :( Anyway, I hope all is well with you and yours, and Deb and I wish you a happy new year. :)
(Just experimenting with that new cam.... I love it! My friend is a scuba dive and loves the Tobermory wrecks. I may have to lend it to him on a dive or two)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! It was 70 on Christmas day back home....50 here in the warm sunny desert.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We were camping, rv camping, down at the kartcher caverns. south of Tucson. Nippy! around 20 degrees below normal. It was 28 this am. We had no cell, no internet, no text, except for a moment off and on. Had a great time. of course Maryland is running 30 plus degrees above normal, only because we are not there.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Still... 28* isn't too terrible. We're a little closer to normal today. I guess we were at about 26 this morning, but it did warm up to about 45. The small pond had a skim of ice on it all day today, but the big pond is still measuring at about 40. I just have two 50 gallon aquarium heaters in there plus a dual outlet aquarium pump with bubble curtains like I did last year which was much colder. All is well :) Enjoy your camping addy and have a great new year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Hey RobAmy, we're usually totally frozen over by now. We've got a "late summer" flowering bulb out back, still in flower and showing no signs of giving up. I don't even know what it's called as it came in a pack of mixed bulbs. It's even got a few more flower buds ready to open. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow and post it. If anyone can tell me what it is, I'd really like to know.

Hope all is well with you and your's :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In Maryland it has been sitting around 16c 60f just now dropping to 13c 55f or so

Ask a Question