Winterized Pond for the Winter

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
EB881DFB-E6F3-4FAE-B2A0-D8476A55AA66.JPG

Last weekend it was relativity nice so I removed the 2 pumps in my Pond and took down my waterfall filter. I skimmed and removed as many leaves as possible, would you suggest trying to Vacuum out the leaves at the bottom?

What air stone do you suggest, and do you recommend 2, 1 for each side?
My koi pond is 6 feet deep and I live in Chicago suburbs.

Thank you,
Shane

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can just use a pond pump to aerate your pond also .I pput mine in a bucket with holes drilled in it and put lava rock around it and tie a rope to the handle to lower it into the pond .Cheaper too

Reaction score
I am in Indianapolis. All I ever do to keep the surface from freezing over is place a pump, 2400 GPH or 3200 GPH, near enough to the surface to keep the water "boiling" and this keeps the surface open for gas exchange and the water churning. On my smaller pond, I drop the water level down close to ground level. I just feel better about keeping the surface de-iced with it lower and closer to the ground then 1 1/2' above the ground where it can be colder.

Reaction score
Yah Shane the more leave you can get out of there the better, will be easier on you this spring. Also lots of leaves can possibly effect the ph in there, so if you can get a pool net and scoop them up that would be good :)

Ask a Question