Winterizing above ground pond in Oregon

Reaction score
This is my first winter and I'm not sure what to do? My pond is up on my deck about four feet off the ground it's 7L x 3W x 2D and I live in zone 8b and my water is currently 45 degrees F. I have 2 koi and 4 goldfish that I quit feeding a couple weeks ago. I cleaned my filters today, removed debris, took out the hyacinths, lettuce, lilly, and netted the pond. I'm running 2 pumps on each end of the pond with 2 small filters attached to the pumps. I guess my question is what to do next. Can I keep my pumps running all winter? Do I need to turn them off and get a heater and aerator? I want to do what ever it takes to keep my fish in the pond. I was also wondering if I can put the hyacinths back in the pond? Is there any benefit?

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,736
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 881

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
zone 8b you should be able to run it all winter. Not sure it would be hot enough for the hyacinths. The lily could stay in all winter.

How long does it stay at your lowest temp?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing is think of your coldest winter yet and go by that .I remember the 2010 winter was bad for most and I use that for the just in case .It is always better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best .You can use an aerator I bought the one from petco with 4 ports and everything came with it for less than 30 dollars and mine is 4 years old now and still works great it just needs protected from water and I use a plastic planter and spray foam insulated it and left holes for air .Turned the planter upside down and set the aerator under it on a rock to raised it up .The holes are on the side of the planter .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm up here in Washington and run my falls and pumps all year. Have a couple tube fountains just bubbling up water to keep holes open in the ice if we get any and also have a small aquarium air pump tube running from my covered porch to the pond and it keeps a small hole in the ice too. I'm in zone 7 so a bit colder than you so I would think you would be fine. Hyacinth won't make it in the cold weather. It'll just turn to mush. Some here know how to keep it alive indoors tho in tubs. Sissy knows how.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
basement and light and fertilizer is all I use in a concrete mixing tub as the roots don't seem to like a lot of light .There are lots of new ideas on here that people are trying out though .I may try the idea of an indoor pond next year just for plants easier maybe and going to bring in my big stock tanks and put a little water in them this year also and see how that works .I guess all you can do is give it a try and if you see them failing try something else .I did add the cheap petco aerator also and it has 4 ports so put one a tube in each tub last year .

Ask a Question