Winterizing hardy minature water lily- basement or shallow pond?

Reaction score
So I have a helvola hardy water lily that grew very well this summer in a tub above ground. Now that it's getting cold, i was hoping to put it in my small ponds (one is 75 g, other is about 110 g). But I have other lotus and water lilies that I sunk to the bottom of those ponds. So my question is, would it be better to:
(1) put the helvola in a 5 g bucket, and put it in the coldest part of my basement, where the temperature fluctuates between 50-65 F (ideally for overwintering below 55 F), or
(2) put it in the pond on top of some other plants (like lotus), so it would be about 10-12 inches below the water

I'm in zone 6b/7a (just east of Washington DC).
(I may (3) end up buying a 40 g trash can, dig a deep whole in the back yard, fill the can with water and sink the plant to the bottom for the winter).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one that is only 10 inches down, it managed to survive one bad winter, one mild winter. But I have a lot of water, it does not freeze down that far, deepest was 8 inches.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you insulate around the can it may be better .I know with one side of my pond when I built it I used 2 inch foam insulation .The side closest to the sidewalk has the big 4x8 sheets on the wall side and just put the liner over it .I did not want the side to cave in from the sidewalk and figure if i had it here already from the house build and thought i would give it a try .Works great so far .I did drill holes in it so if There was ever a leak it would flow behind it and not make a big bubble of water behind the liner .I used a 1 inch hole saw bit .I didn't want the holes to big .Dog ripped my liner last year and had to replace liner and it all still look good so left it .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Those darn puppies... I had three big puppies at one time... and the stories I could tell you, if they were not so cute they would not get away with bad puppy stuff!! Puppies are much better now.... that they are eight years old!! But there was many times I would find things, like the time I had a big 100 gallon tub of guppies and duckweed in the porch, and somebody jumped in for a swim and then dragged duckweed all over the house on the bed.... the bad puppies had been swimming in all my ponds at one time or another, and would find plant's dragged out. And then Poppy would blame everything on Bear, and he said it was the neighborhood CAT!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well at least they blamed the cat .This one was not my dog and my dogs can't get near the pond .I at least was wishing the people would have at least offered to help ,but nothing .I was trying to work fast before I lost all the water .I did put several of those cheap plastic mouse traps to keep anything away from the pond after that .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So you must have had a big hole or something! Lucky for me I never got a hole, but I know of others that have had holes in liner due to dogs. I would have been real mad, but Poppy and Bear would NeVer lie! Mouse traps sound like another good idea Sissy!

Ask a Question