Winterizing Hardy Pond Plants

Reaction score
Well sadly its time to start thinking about shutting down the pond for the winter. I was wondering is anyone one had any suggestions on how to handle their hardy plants. I live in Ottawa Ontario (Canada) in zone 5a. I leave a pump running in the pond so the pond will not freeze solid, but will be covered by 8” – 12” of ice and a couple of feet of snow.

Last year I sunk my irises and hardy water lilies to the bottom of the pond and had no problems so I will probably do this again.

I am wondering about my marginal plants. Do people leave them to freeze solid on the top shelf or do they sink them to the bottom of the pond. I sunk some of them last year but they were very slow to come back in the spring. My marginals include: Chameleon plant, pickerel plant, water parsley, forget-me-not, juncus, horsetail and cattail.

The only other exception would be siberian irises, I understand that these do not like to be ‘wet’ over winter so I will be burying the pots in the garden for the winter. Does anyone do this with other marginals?

Any suggestions would be welcome…

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Ask a Question