Winterizing my plants

Reaction score
Hi,
Long time reader first time poster, i Vancouver, B.C , Canada. My question sis that i have added some new plants this summer to my pond and would like to know if they need to be brought in. Previously i have just had some floaters and would leave them but this time i have some nice looking ones .I have some Colocasia , some taro and some tall grass.
Please advise what can be done, i would rather not bring them in but if have too i will :(

Pond is about 16 feet wide and 18 feet long with depth of 4 feet

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to our Forum!

Your Taro is a member of the Colocasia family. I grow and sell them here at DrDaves Koi. We get an occasional frost here and it has not killed off any of my plants. Your climate is perhaps a little colder, although having the Sound so close keeps your winters mild I suspect.

If cut back, I think they will rejuvinate in the spring. You might want to take one or more indoors just in case the first winter and see what happens. At least you will have a healthy plant in the spring if the others don't make it.

Attachments

• Taro in Container Oct 2010.jpg
    Taro in Container Oct 2010.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 331
  • Taro in Ground Oct 2010.jpg
    Taro in Ground Oct 2010.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 334
  • Taro in Stream Oct 2010.jpg
    Taro in Stream Oct 2010.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 320
  • Taro in Waterfall Oct 2010.jpg
    Taro in Waterfall Oct 2010.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 294

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pidluk said:
Hi,
Long time reader first time poster, i Vancouver, B.C , Canada. My question sis that i have added some new plants this summer to my pond and would like to know if they need to be brought in. Previously i have just had some floaters and would leave them but this time i have some nice looking ones .I have some Colocasia , some taro and some tall grass.
Please advise what can be done, i would rather not bring them in but if have too i will :(

Pond is about 16 feet wide and 18 feet long with depth of 4 feet

Do you know what plant zone you are in, like we have here in us? I am zone 6 i.e. we drop to -10-0 but not very often. Taro would not survive our winters.

Reaction score
I believe it is Zone 7-8. I didn't feel like taking any chances and brought them in yesterday. I cut a blue plastic barrel 2 feet from the bottom, placed it in my basement close to the window , pit my plants in there, with water with some plant food, so that they can get some light .
When i pulled them out it had new shoots and new growth so next year i will be having more taro's :p
As for the Grass like plants , i just put them deep in one corner where the fishes liked to hide.
Hope i did the right thing!!!.

Ask a Question