winterizing question......

Reaction score
pond about 2000 gal , and close to 4 ft. deep, running skimmer to waterfall and a pump in pond to stock tank filter planning on shutting down skimmer pump to fall and bringing in,and shutting down the stock tank , would it be a good idiea to let that pump run and divert water directly at pond surface to help keep from freezing? or just bring that pump in doors too and use a heater to keep a opening in surface? what about the bio-filter being shut down? thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I have read the bio-filter stops working as it gets cold, the little bio guys die until spring.

Different people have used air and or heaters.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
cold water needs no filteration,just as the fish need no food.They both seem to hibernate together in wintertime months.

Reaction score
So what's a good guideline? Divert and empty the biofilter when sustained temps get below 50 deg. F?

Sooner? Later?

Are there good reasons to divert around the biofilter? I'm just wondering if it's just as well to leave things alone. In Western Washington we don't get months of hard freeze weather. Maybe a few weeks here and there.

Is there any reason to keep the pump or pumps running?

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I'm in the same zone, I think, 7. I planned to just leave everything alone, except to shut the bottom drain for the winter. Might back the flow down as it gets cooler.

Reaction score
I live in zone 6, with a 100g 22" deep pond, should I leave the 12"x12" filter at the bottom over the winter, or just bring it all inside and all the bio growth starts over next spring? It sounded like addy1 was saying that all the good bact dies over the winter anyway, but just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Fhayes, some might disagree, but less than 2' deep in zone 6? You need a deeper pond, or unlimited electricity for a heater. Just saying.

Reaction score
The goldfish, pump and some of the plants will be coming in for the winter, just didn't know for sure whether to bring the filter in, or leave it on the bottom. I'm still trying to figure out how the fall closing and spring opening is going to work. Will I end up cycling the pond in the spring no matter what I do, just like when I first put it in, or are there things I can do that will preserve the existing bio over the winter months? With no fish in the pond over the winter I do not plan on using a heater. The lily pads will be placed in the deep section, other plants brought inside.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bring your filter in too!...pick up a 100 gal stocktank and setup a indoor pond for wintering your fish...use all your pond equipment. when it goes back outside in the spring youll still have an active bacterial colony in your filter...i winter my fish indoors every year in a 800+ gal pond.in my basement.......................https://www.gardenpondforum.com/fish-video-else-t4899.html
click green print to view video of basement pond

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Koiguy has a great point - and the only way to keep your bacteria alive through the winter, they need ammonia (from fish), water, and oxgenation.

PS3

Reaction score
you can leave the pump and filter runing till u get light ice on the pond.
then take in the filter and pumps and use a deicer and air hose.

Reaction score
mailman62 said:
pond about 2000 gal , and close to 4 ft. deep, running skimmer to waterfall and a pump in pond to stock tank filter planning on shutting down skimmer pump to fall and bringing in,and shutting down the stock tank , would it be a good idiea to let that pump run and divert water directly at pond surface to help keep from freezing? or just bring that pump in doors too and use a heater to keep a opening in surface? what about the bio-filter being shut down? thanks

I let everything run over the winter, moving water doesn't freeze. Pull the the bulb from my UV light and clean and remove the guts from my bio filter. I've had temps close to 0 degress. I worry alittle but thats normal. Here is a link that may help http://www.backyardgardenponds.com/winterizing.php

Ask a Question