Winterizing Questions

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
This will be my first winter with my pond and I want to make sure I have the right plan in place as it approaches. My zone is 6b as I'm in northern Virginia. Temps definitely get below freezing here, but its usually not sustained for long periods of time. I have a net to put over to catch the leaves that fall, i have a de-icer to put in the pond and i plan on leaving my waterfall running through the winter. My pond is 5' long, 9' wide, and 3' deep. i plan to move the 3 aerators i have closer to the surface once winter hits to really help with surface agitation. My main questions revolve around my plants and if actually leaving the waterfall running is a good idea in my zone. For the plants, most are potted and can be moved deeper if need be. I have 3 iris versacolor that are on a shelf and the bottom of the pot is roughly 10" below the water surface. I also have some lizard tail that is about 5" below the surface. Are these plants fine to leave where they are or should I place them deeper to overwinter? Also, I've seen others in my zone that said they leave their waterfalls running through the winter, but is there something particular that i should keep an eye out for when the temps drop below freezing? Feel free to bring up any other "winter lessons" that you've learned, since this is my first winter, i dont know what i dont know. haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This will be my first winter with my pond and I want to make sure I have the right plan in place as it approaches. My zone is 6b as I'm in northern Virginia. Temps definitely get below freezing here, but its usually not sustained for long periods of time. I have a net to put over to catch the leaves that fall, i have a de-icer to put in the pond and i plan on leaving my waterfall running through the winter. My pond is 5' long, 9' wide, and 3' deep. i plan to move the 3 aerators i have closer to the surface once winter hits to really help with surface agitation. My main questions revolve around my plants and if actually leaving the waterfall running is a good idea in my zone. For the plants, most are potted and can be moved deeper if need be. I have 3 iris versacolor that are on a shelf and the bottom of the pot is roughly 10" below the water surface. I also have some lizard tail that is about 5" below the surface. Are these plants fine to leave where they are or should I place them deeper to overwinter? Also, I've seen others in my zone that said they leave their waterfalls running through the winter, but is there something particular that i should keep an eye out for when the temps drop below freezing? Feel free to bring up any other "winter lessons" that you've learned, since this is my first winter, i dont know what i dont know. haha
your plan sounds fine to me. Depending on exactly how cold/long the temps remain below freezing, your waterfall might or might not be an issue. Typically, ice can form over the flow inside, from your falls, and you're okay. But, sometimes ice dams form and divert the water. Keep an eye on it; should be evident how this will go. If worried, just cut the falls for winter. The fish don't need the agitation for aeration's sake but it will keep most of your ice from building up. You also could probably just use one aerator, but 3 are fine.

Most plants, if hardy to your zone, are fine where they are. IF you think ice is going to form and envelope such as rhizomes (lotus, water lily), then yes, move them deeper. Your marginals should be fine where they are. Don't cut stalks if you have horsetail as water will get in and rot the plant. I cut them in the spring if at all.

Keep an eye too on the water level as it can winter evap can creep up on you. Heard tales of ice forming, staying for a long time, and when the ponder checked near/in spring, found the level was below the ice and a lot lower than they expected. This is because the winter air is drier and with any wind, evap happens quicker than in hot humid conditions. Not really a huge issue but you'll know after your first winter if it's something to watch for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My lizard tail just stays on the shelf, same with the Marsh Marigold. I do cut them down in preparation for winter, as I do with most plants.
Both the Lizard Tail and Marsh Marigold get bigger every year. They are huge now.

Last winter was the first for my bog.
I took a chance and left it running.
I'm also in zone 6b.
I was a little concerned that an ice dam would form at the bog spillway and water would flow over on top of the pond ice and escape, but it was just fine.
The spillway is really just a trickle, not a roaring waterfall by any means.
I kept my deicer near the spillway just in case.

So, it's your call, but if you leave it running, just keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

Ask a Question