Winterizing small pond help

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking through all the winterizing threads and got some info, but haven't found a pond exactly like mine, so posting another winterizing thread (sorry).

So I have approx 100-150 gallon pond and is only 18" deep in center, with (2) 9" shelves on both sides. I currently have some tall grass plants (not sure of name) on the shelves, some water hyacinth (will toss in trash), and the bottom is covered fully with anacharis. There are (9) ~5" goldfish in the pond as well. The pond has a 550gph pump attached to UV clarifier and runs 24/7. I also have a 750gph for the dual waterfalls which runs periodically.

So I am trying to figure out the best way to winterize the pond, but without going absolutely nuts for $5 goldfish and such a small pond.

I see alot of info on removing pumps, keeping pumps in, airstones/air pumps (new to me), keeping pond from freezing or not, etc.

I live in zone 7 (NY), so it will get pretty cold at some point here and with such a small pond, I imagine won't take much to freeze - but not sure if freeze solid or what (first winter with pond).

So I am asking all you experts here, what should I do.

- do I keep the anacharis in the pond to help with oxygen, do I cut them back, or get rid of?

- plan to remove the tall grass plants, cut back, and plant in garden

- thought about removing my two pumps and placing an old 325gph pump in bottom of pond with nothing attached to send air flow up to surface (will that disturb the fish, that is if they don't freeze solid for the winter).

Any suggest is greatly appreciated! If I can away without purchasing additional equipment, that would be great!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Pond-33.jpg

Reaction score
build yourself a little dome out of 3/4" pvc pipe which is highly bendable. You just use elbows/tees to tie it all together. Just follow the lines of your pond with the right amount of PVC pipe. If you buy 1/2" or 3/4" in those long lengths it's very bendable.

If I were you, I would get anout pieces of pvc to create a ring around the bottom of your pond--like a circle. Connect those pieces, and then arc other pieces up as if it was an igloo. Then you simply attach clear or opaque tarp sheeting on it. You can lift it easily when you need to and in the spring just stow it in the garage for next year.

I'm basically using the same thing on my pond. It's really simple to build.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

wintercover_28134729_std.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Will all those plants outside the pond winter over? If not, you might want to build that Igloo a little bigger.

Reaction score
What benefit does this structure bring? other than keeping snow off the ice over the pond. Is this supposed to prevent the water from freezing? The water will still freeze.

Reaction score
Is the goal that it warm's up the pond enough to keep a hole open in the ice? If it's not warm enough to keep a hole open in the ice, I don't see it warming up the water. I'm not clear on what problem this cover solves?

Reaction score
Hard to answer your question without alot if if,buts,and nuts. Suffice it to say that it will be warmer inside the enclosure than it will outside. how much warmer depends on factors like amount of sunlight, windchill and outdoor temperature. I have been inside a small enclosure like this when inside it approached 60 degrees while the outside temperature was below freezing. Bear in mind that this was under ideal conditions with little wind and full sun light and our own body heat was helping matters. But worst case scenario it would help contain any heat produced by pond heaters etc and make them much more effficient, work less, and work better.

Reaction score
I dont' disagree that it will raise the temp of the air inside the enclosure but in a climate that will freeze pond water surface to ice, having the air temp above the ice can't change the water temp below the ice.

I live where water will freeze 8-10 inches deep. My plan is 12W pump pointed at the surface to keep a hole open (someone else on a local forum says it works fine in our climate). I may also add 2 watt air pump to add oxygen. I plan on leaving the snow over the ice to act as an insulator and only keep a small hole open in the ice. It's my first winter with a pond so I will see how it goes.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm certainly not an expert on winterizing a pond, but I did grow up in North Dakota so I know cold.

Some folks, I hear, float a soccar ball in their pond to help keep a hole open. I would think that keeping the cold air off the surface might allow less oppoertunity for freezing. Your small heater and bubbler are going to allow some energy to escape and the cover might help contain some of that latent heat. During the daytime, sunlight will offer some element of heat which without the cover would immediately be carried away without the containment.

It would be nice to have side by side ponds to experiment with so some data could be gathered.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you have basically a green house over your pond it would have to warm up your water on sunny days,,,And hold in the heat at night & with out the wind
Its got to help big time

Reaction score
I happen to have side by side ponds to experiment with. I'm going to try just the air stone and see if that keeps the ice open (really cheap at 2 watts). if it doesn't work I will turn on the 12 watt pump. On the big pond I can try covering a small section to see what happens.

Reaction score
Hmm, so doing some more research and wonder if it would just be better to bring the fish into my garage (heated, so never goes below 40 degrees in there). I could get some sort of bin to fill up with water and leave them in there with a small pump running in it.

I also read somewhere since my pond is rather small and only 18" deep, that it could potentially completely freeze if we have a brutal winter here in NY. Now I am afraid of it possibly cracking the preformed plastic liner.

So would it be wise to bring the fish inside, empty out the pond, and just cover it for the winter? Thoughts?

Eventhough I only spent about $30-$40 for my goldfish, I kinda don't want to take the route - if they freeze and die, oh well. First goldfish, so kinda attached to them, lol.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
newday3000 said:
I happen to have side by side ponds to experiment with. I'm going to try just the air stone and see if that keeps the ice open (really cheap at 2 watts). if it doesn't work I will turn on the 12 watt pump. On the big pond I can try covering a small section to see what happens.

Perfect! document temperatures and take pictures. I am very curious to see the results.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
frankrizzo said:
Hmm, so doing some more research and wonder if it would just be better to bring the fish into my garage (heated, so never goes below 40 degrees in there). I could get some sort of bin to fill up with water and leave them in there with a small pump running in it.

I also read somewhere since my pond is rather small and only 18" deep, that it could potentially completely freeze if we have a brutal winter here in NY. Now I am afraid of it possibly cracking the preformed plastic liner.

So would it be wise to bring the fish inside, empty out the pond, and just cover it for the winter? Thoughts?

Eventhough I only spent about $30-$40 for my goldfish, I kinda don't want to take the route - if they freeze and die, oh well. First goldfish, so kinda attached to them, lol.

With such a shallow depth and a plastic pond, you might be better off draining and bringing in your fish.

Ask a Question