Winterizing UV Light

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me if I need to uninstall my UV light for winter months? This is my first year with it. It’s connected between my skimmer plumbing and my filter. Should I disconnect it for winter? It seems like a big pain in the neck. We usually empty the waterfall box, drain water below the skimmer entrance and blow the water out of the lines.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In addition to removing the UV light, is it also recommended to remove the filter canister? I did remove mine yesterday as I was concerned that the canister may freeze and crack over the winter cold. Is it ok for the pond not to have filtration over the winter? the pump can still run to circulate the water but not filtered?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep, I left mine out but it was sealed and we don't usually get really cold winters here. Bring it in just to be safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The fish are not creating the amount of waste in the winter as they do when it's warmer, so filtration can be reduced. Some may say you should be OK without your filter running.
This may depend on how many gallons your pond holds, how many fish, what type of fish and how large the fish are.

With the exception of my bucket filter/fountain, I have always shut down my filtration for the winter in my 1800 gallon pond. My pond is definitely overpopulated. They keep reproducing!

My bucket filter/fountain is always running, 24/7 365 days. It sits submerged in the bottom of the pond.
The bucket has a small 550 gph pump sitting in it's bottom. A 1/2 inch pvc pipe is connected to the outlet of the pump which goes up vertically and ends just below the water surface. This allows the water to shoot up like a fountain. The pump is covered with lava rocks, which is the filter portion. The handle of the bucket is upright and wired to the vertical pvc pipe. This allows me to lift the bucket out by the handle with a long pole for cleaning. I clean it in the Spring and in the Fall.

So, if you feel it's necessary, you can create a simple bucket filter for the duration of winter while your normal filter has been taken inside.

Just as a mention...my main filter is a gravel bog which will get shut down once we get into serious cold weather.

Ask a Question