Winterizing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even though I know I should’ve probably Asked before I did it. I decided to let my pump and waterfall run all through the colder weather, was this a mistake and if so why. I do have four koi fish approximately 6 inches long living in my pond. I also pulled the pump off of the lowest part of the pond and brought it up higher a little bit.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Even though I know I should’ve probably Asked before I did it. I decided to let my pump and waterfall run all through the colder weather, was this a mistake and if so why. I do have four koi fish approximately 6 inches long living in my pond. I also pulled the pump off of the lowest part of the pond and brought it up higher a little bit.

If your pump/waterfall/piping isn't frozen and everythings is going okay, I would say that you are probably in the clear now, and I mean as long as nothing is broken or cracked, then why would it be a mistake?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What zone are you? @callingcolleen1 runs all her pumps etc winter long and she has like -30C temperatures in winter!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your pump/waterfall/piping isn't frozen and everythings is going okay, I would say that you are probably in the clear now, and I mean as long as nothing is broken or cracked, then why would it be a mistake?
all winter long the water kept flowing and the waterfall kept working even under all the ice. When the pond Thawed out about a week ago I noticed that my string algae Is still alive and well, as matter fact there seems to be like a mossy existence of it over my river rock in the bottom of the pond. I thought Algae was supposed to die off during the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
all winter long the water kept flowing and the waterfall kept working even under all the ice. When the pond Thawed out about a week ago I noticed that my string algae Is still alive and well, as matter fact there seems to be like a mossy existence of it over my river rock in the bottom of the pond. I thought Algae was supposed to die off during the winter.

We always have algae that grows all winter long - generally different than the algae we see at any other time of the year.

Ask a Question