Wise Veterinarian

Reaction score
My Uncle Joe had a mule on his ranch that he used that he used for certain heavy labor activities like pulling out stumps and hauling tools and equipment loads around to the windmills out in the canyons area of his ranch that were inaccessible by truck.

One summer, the mule took ill with some malady and wouldn't drink water. The animal was starting to get weak and dehydrated so Uncle Joe called the vet out from the nearby city.

The vet looked the mule over and then asked my uncle if there was a stream close by. My uncle pointed to the direction of the creek at the bottom of a hill. The vet then asked if my uncle had a section of 1 inch diameter rubber hose. My uncle searched around in the machine shop for a short while and found a five foot piece.

The vet and my uncle then proceded to walk down to the crick with the hose and the mule in tow. When they got there, the vet asked my uncle to hold the mule's nose down in the water. The vet then inserted the hose in the mule's rear end and started sucking on the hose, pretty soon the mule was drinking water.

The vet charged my uncle $90 and left.

A couple of months later, the mule had a relapse. My uncle knew the remedy and didn't want to pay for another vet call, so he just got the hose and his hired hand and they took the mule back down to the creek.

My uncle held the mule's snout down in the water and the hired hand attempted to make the siphon action start. After a little while, my uncle announced that the mule was once again drinking water. The hired hand exclaimed...

"That's good, but you better hold his head up a little higher because he's sucking mud".

True story, yes it is... :)

Gordy

Reaction score
The poor mule must have had an affliction as the next summer this occurred once again. My Uncle Joe took the mule and the hose and his new hired hand down to the creek for the necessary treatment. Uncle Joe described the entire procedure to the new hired hand showing him precisely what to do . They then proceeded to carry out the remedy. My uncle was waiting and watching the mules response and nothing was happening, so he looked up to see the hired hand pulling the hose out from the mule's behind and asked "What are you doing?"

The hired hand replied, "Well, I'm certainly not going to suck on the same end that you did."

nyuck nyuck nyuck

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh my!

Horse_and_fly.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol oh my and I'm eating my lunch - should've waited a bit before start reading this!

Ask a Question