Women of GPF, your fridge...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It's 2:30am and I really have to rant after trying to find some food in the fridge. Women of GPF, are your refrigerators so full of food that it's impossible to find things in it? I've only see two other families' fridges and both of them are nice and clean. Our fridge is completely full of junk.

Many times, I'm looking for my food, like marge or ham or something and I absolutely cannot find it because there is so much stuff in there. And we have another fridge in the garage that is almost as full too.

About once a month, someone opens the fridge and something falls out because it's too full. Last week it was a cherry pie. And the fridge is so full that it was years before I discovered that there was a light bulb fitting in the middle so we can see what's in the drawers at the bottom. Same thing with the freezer in the garage, it was years before I discovered that it had a light bulb in the back so I didn't have to use a flashlight. The fridge door has condiments which have never been used and are only used to store them until they expire and then we throw them out. And don't even ask me about the freezer. The reason why people in Africa are starving is because all the food is in our fridge.

So anyway, is it normal to have refrigerators that are completely jammed full of food or is this some kind of new hoarding disease that my wife has and is new to science?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
roflmao.............. she must suffer from the we might need this syndrome.

Ours is full with big bags of lettuce spinach, vegs, they take lots of room. A few left overs that are on the top shelf. That way you know they need to be gone in x time.
Condiments only what we use. Mainly on the door shelves.

After a trip to costco and those huge plastic bins of lettuce, spinach, veggies it is fuller but decreases over time, until it is almost empty then I have to shop again.

Freezer, everything is cycled. When honey's blood sugar was shown to be up I purged the freezer, panty etc of all foods he could not eat and gave them to a neighbor with a bunch of kids.

So no ours is not that bad, I can't stand a refer I can't see into, it is not perfect organized like some, but not a pit likes his parents used to be. I would purge their refer at least twice a year, get rid of old old left overs, expired food stuff. I checked it every time we came down here. Did the same with my dads when I came to visit him, do the purge.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep our fridge stocked with anything I might need so not running to store every day. I have the plastic cafeteria trays on the shelves so you can slide it out to get the stuff in the back. My fridge does get emptied twice a year for a cleaning and to check dates on condiments.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep our fridge stocked with anything I might need so not running to store every day. I have the plastic cafeteria trays on the shelves so you can slide it out to get the stuff in the back. My fridge does get emptied twice a year for a cleaning and to check dates on condiments.

Same here mrsclem, takes a good 20 minutes to get to a food store, and I hate shopping....................
Like the idea of the trays.

Reaction score
Well, I am a bachelor now (most of the time since my "wife" lives elsewhere) and my refrigerator is organized a little differently.

I keep one gallon of milk, a carton of eggs, a brick of sharp cheddar cheese, one bottle of ketchup and one of mustard and some homemade horseraddish sauce that will open your sinuses and four or six bottles of Frank's Red Hot pepper sauce and four bottles of spicy steak sauce and a couple of bottles of pickled jalepeno peppers and lots of liquid smoke.

The veggie drawers are filled with onions and fresh peppers and a few potatoes and some carrots and what-not. Haven't been able to identify what the what-not is any longer, but it is green, or maybe a greenish-blue, anyway it is kinda pretty and I have grown fond of it. The rest of the space is filled with real BEER (not the light stuff).

The freezer and the deep freeze are where the good food resides! Packed full of pork chops, pork loins, good thick pepper bacon, ribeyes, T-bones, roasts and pounds of hamburger, liver, beef nuts, fozen fish fresh from the river, snapping turtle and sometimes some venison, antelope, or bison meat... and Degiorno frozen pizzas!

When I go to the store to resupply my fridge, I stock up. Get most of the fresh stuff in the summer from my neighbor's garden along with the horseraddish. My neighbor lost a few cattle and hogs over the last few years, he still don't know where they went. :)

That pretty much sums up my fridge and freezer, with a few tongue-in-cheek comments added.

Gordy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
After growing up with a food-hoarding mother, I am pretty much the opposite. I stock up on food staples, paper products, and cleaning supplies. Other than that, my refrigerator gets cleaned out every Saturday morning (just finished before I saw this post actually!) so we can shop Saturday afternoon. With a menu. And a list. And a plan. It's nice we can control our own home, isn't it! Luckily my husband and I agree about how to manage the food situation or there would be problems!

JohnHuff, I only know you here as a witty guy so perhaps you are being tongue in cheek. However, I will tell you that food hoarding is indeed a real thing - my mother has multiple freezers stuffed with food and has even stored food with neighbors and friends when hers get too full, until we ask them to stop allowing it. There isn't a counter in her kitchen that isn't piled with food. She stores food in her oven, in her microwave, in her showers, in her linen closet, in the trunk of her car... it's a sickness. I don't know if it comes from being raised in the depression, but food is her comfort. She food shops daily - sales and coupons mainly, for things that she never uses. She can't actually cook a meal in her kitchen, because she has too much food taking up all her food prep areas. Naturally much of it goes to waste since she lives alone and can't possibly use it all. But she can't stop herself. So if it's a for real problem you're dealing with, maybe your wife really does need to get some help. Or perhaps she's just waiting for you to clean the refrigerator!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
keep mine neat UI hate not being able to find any thing .Even my cabinets have to be neat .I just like looking in them and knowing where to look for stuff .

Reaction score
About once ever couple of months or so I end up going through the fridge and taking out all the little plastic containers and emptying out the contents of things like; one sardine, two tablespoons of moldy tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of rice, an old dried out half a lemon, some sort of brown liquid, etc, etc....
In turn my wife walks around the house and picks up my underwear for me and washes it.
I think they call that a symbiotic relationship. ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mucky could be a test to see what those things will grow in the long run ,like new food source .I very rarely have left overs as king arthur the pit bull see's to that .:);)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
roflmao.............. she must suffer from the we might need this syndrome.

Freezer, everything is cycled. When honey's blood sugar was shown to be up I purged the freezer, panty etc of all foods he could not eat and gave them to a neighbor with a bunch of kids.

Having a hard time understanding this, Addy. Did you purge your hubby's panties of food? Did you give the panties to the neighbours? Or does hubby store his panties in the freezer? And wouldn't they be uncomfortable when he put them on? :eek:
John

Ask a Question