Wondering if trying this would bring results.

Reaction score
I was wondering if I went to the local craft store and bought a lotus pod that they use for floral arrangements. Could I manage to get it to grow a lotus? I was wondering what your thoughts on this was and if you felt it was possible.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Koillector said:
I was wondering if I went to the local craft store and bought a lotus pod that they use for floral arrangements. Could I manage to get it to grow a lotus? I was wondering what your thoughts on this was and if you felt it was possible.

Maybe I don't know what a Lotus Pod is that would be available at a crafts store, but wouldn't it already be dried out and dead? Enlighten me. I am interested at some point in growing one also.

Reaction score
Can you grow lotus plants from dried seed pods? If the seed pods dried naturally (as opposed to being baked), then yes, you may be able to use them as seed stock.

Lotus seeds are quite hardy. It is said that some of the first archeologists who found Egyptian tombs also found seed pods that were still viable after 3000 years!

Lotus plants are hardy from zones 5 to 10.

They need to be planted in full sun submerged under no more than 10 inches of water. These plants will bloom if planted in full sun for at least 3 months in soil temperatures above 75 degrees.

Plant your seeds in shallow pots with no more than 4 inches of topsoil. Lotus plants grow tubers which need horizontal space, so you pot should be shallow but about a foot wide.

Ask a Question