Wood for around top of pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pond is raised (dug down too) and I want to put wood on top going around to make a bench and finish the top of the walls. I'm thinking a 2x10 or 2x12 for better support while sitting on it. The size limits what's available locally to me for wood types however...

Ideally I'd want cedar or redwood so it's water and bug resistant but the biggest cut of those I can get without a special order is 2x6, not interested in having a space between the boards in the middle.

That leaves me with pt or a soft wood, pine or Douglas fir that I could seal.

My worry is with pt, would that be harmful to the pond when rain water goes down ? Suppose that goes on how the wood was treated..

Same thing with sealing the pine or fir, would the sealant be potentially harmful?

Anyone have any experience using wood next to pond or insight on this?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have pt around mine no big deal with it .I did screw plastic edging against the inside to protect the fish from hitting the boar
101_0658.JPG
d when they are after frogs .I have frog killers

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If it were me, I would save up and order the cedar or redwood I wanted. Much nicer woods than pt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If it were me, I would save up and order the cedar or redwood I wanted. Much nicer woods than pt.

I really don't mind the look of pt, especially after it fades in the sun a bit. And the cost is about 1/5 or less..

What about using a composite decking material such as Trex? http://www.trex.com
Their facia products come in 12" widths.

Thought about composite but since I want it to be more of a bench the thickness of composite being 1" (haven't seen thicker) wouldn't work as well. 12 inch would have 2-3 overhang on each sides so that's why I want a 2" thickness so it doesn't bend or flex at all if someone is sitting on the edge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You could do a double layer of the composite, or build a supporting layer of non treated wood that would support the composite.
Just an idea.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You could do a double layer of the composite, or build a supporting layer of non treated wood that would support the composite.
Just an idea.(y)
Could but then I'm in the $400 range for what $40 of wood can do haha. Don't mind spending some extra to get the right stuff but I think composite is overkill and wouldn't fit this that well.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
PT is much safer these days ,not like the old pt that used bad chemicals .My bridge is pt stained and for the boards around the pond unstained .True cost is a factor .Hate to say this but that composite stuff is not all that great .I have seen several aztec decks and trex decks here on the house tours for gardens and they are not holding up as good as you would think.I saw lots of flaws in the decking .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I put a Trex deck on our place here about 9 years ago and am really happy with it.
Maybe composite does better in the cold than the heat.
I can't think of any wood that would stand up to 9 years of outside weather without looking like it needs to be replaced.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here the trex and aztek decks blister and get rough for some reason .Maybe to much sun exposure

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 6" wide Trex on both my ponds. Its been over 6 years and the only problem I have it that in full sun it gets hot!

Ask a Question