Wood size for above ground pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build a pond with approx internal size 7'6" x 6' narrowing down one side to 4' and Will be 3'6" deep. 3' of the height will be above ground.

I am thinkng of using 6"x2" kiln dried easy edge fsc wood for the frame (bolted together) with 18mm ply internally.

would the above appear sufficently strong enough for the size of the pond (any advice appreciated)?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are few on here that have done wood above ground ponds with success .

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sgreeting_welcome_team_100-100.gif

At almost 8 feet long and 3.5 deep, I would think the 2x6's will begin to bow out unless you have good lateral support, like so...
p4vnk.jpg

Take a look at this link for an idea.
https://plantpostings.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-make-above-ground-pond.html

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the fast replies and the welcome. I must admit I was planning to have the 2" wood as the thicknes of the pond along with the 18mm ply inside, but perhaps that isn't going to be up to the job, so maybe as a compromise I will consider 4"x2" with the 4" as the thickness for the frame and then the ply inside, and 6"x2" as the lateral supports (as per moonshadows diagram).

Thanks again

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think where our problem is the ground the posts are set in is mostly sand. Also, the depth on ours is greater than what you are planning. Ours has been up for almost 6 years and I don't see any problems other than the slight bow. BTW- we used 3/4" lag bolts to hold everything together!

Ask a Question