Wooden pond reinforcement

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi I am planning on building a wooden pond for my turtle. It going to be above the ground. My idea is to build it 20” wide, 20” deep and 48” in length. I will be doing 1 layer of fiberglass to prevent any leaks and then painting it with epoxy paint. My question is how thick should the wood sheet be 0.5” or 0.75”? And what reinforcement should i make to prevent it from bowing?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! What kind of turtle(s) do you have? I have box turtles, which are non-aquatics. I have their “pond” made as a bog connecting with the big pond (or used to, as we’ve moved and haven’t built the new pond yet).

As far as building material, I’m not sure that wood — are you talking about plywood? — is the best choice to hold large amounts of water, but maybe it wouldn’t be a problem with the size you are talking about. There are others here who are more knowledgeable. But even so, I would go with a pond liner like EPDM as they are sturdy and last forever — but still not sure a box frame of plywood would be a good idea. Frames designed to hold water have to be made with structural strength in mind. There are several members here who have made gorgeous “box” ponds, but they are made with things like landscape timbers.

Is there any reason that it has to be wood? There are tubs and stock tanks that come in many shapes and sizes. These are very sturdy, and easy to work with.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
About wood im not sure which is the best so who already built a pond maybe can tell me. I have a red eared slider. I want to build a rectangular wooden pond because of the custom size and here in malta where i live there arent any tubs for sale. Apart from that im not willing to make it fully fibreglass because of the price.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for clarifying, and I totally understand about being able to make it a custom fit! There are ways to do it, so hopefully when others read this, they can help.

Could you use some type of brick or concrete blocks for a frame? Just be sure it’s “escape proof!” Turtles of all kinds are master escape artists! Also, do you plan on filtering the water somehow? Turtles are messy! My entire pond (3000 gallons) came about as a solution to constantly having to empty and refill their water :eek:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588699171941.gif
@diymalta
I would think that if you must use wood that you would need to use some kind of pressure treated wood that uses non-toxic preservatives otherwise I would do like @Mmathis says and use bricks etc.
Lots of neat idea's here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=turtle+po...8c/a8/b8/8ca8b82044903908f2e96f5bab16a05f.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Bricks and concrete isnt an option. Dw i know they are ninjas. about filtering i will have two canister filters. I already have an idea the blue is the wood sheet and red is the support they are 3 by 4. Idk if its to much or i need more. What do you think?

Attachments

• CD2A3E35-0D0A-44FB-94AD-4880F8ABF637.jpeg
    CD2A3E35-0D0A-44FB-94AD-4880F8ABF637.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it will probably work. If you have doubts add one more row of the red supports. I am doing a similar build 16" deep 32" wide and 96" long. Mine will be full of gravel to make it a bog.

Ask a Question