Working on Second Pond

Reaction score
Hi my name is Eve and I have been ponding since 2008 when I built my first 2000 gallon pond! I moved 2 years ago this summer and am planning my second pond after having to put it off last summer due to pregnancy;) I became obsessed with my fish after building my pond but unfortunately had to leave most of them in the old pond so am looking forward to having a herd again and a beautiful backyard retreat.

I'm an avid ponder, gardener and animal lover(dogs, cats, fish) but spend most of my days running after my 5 year old son and taking care of my 3 month old daughter. I belong to several pond and garden boards and am in full research mania mode;) lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowers09.gif
Eve

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome eve and children are always a handful as I'm sure you know and good luck on building your new pond as I'm sure you will love it as much as your old pond .At least this time when you build you will remember any mistakes you did with your old pond .Experience is always a way to make things better and in ponds there is a lot of learning that comes with it .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you joined welcome to the group! We my little yorkie is a handful, can't imagine chasing kids lol

WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Fish wise I am just sticking with goldies this time since my pond will be smaller. I'm thinking shubunkins and wakin. I had started a hole last summer when morning sickness hit and have just started up again. At this time I am thinking it will be about 8X11 and around 3 feet deep, maybe deeper depending on how the dig goes. I'm hoping to do two waterfalls. One bigger waterfall and a second smaller one that comes from an antique hand pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was just wondering about depth because of your small children and there safety .i understand the state where you live is cold and you need more depth ,but you may have to watch your children closely .Your 3 month old before you know it will be a toddler and they move fast for there size .Water is a magnet to children ,splish splash just like a bathtub LOL

Reaction score
Yeah we thought of that but the last pond I built we had a toddler too. We are planning on fencing it till she is older. It has a privacy fence and garage on two sides, in a corner, so just need to fence the other two sides two sides. My kids can't get into our backyard without an adult too(double doors they can't open even if they aren't locked) and I wouldn't let them play outside without me with or without a pond. We also put shallower sides and only one section by the waterfall will be 3 feet also because I have small dogs that could fall in too. Believe me I'm paranoid about that kind of thing;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good for you and I know what you mean by small dogs I have a chihuahua and he has no fear sometimes I think he is worse than a child .He will run along side the pond and bark at the fish .Yes it seems when we have children these days we have to worry about everything anymore .Times have changed and we have to watch out for everything and it seems everyone too.life as it is, is not as simple as it was .good luck on your pond build and have fun with it too .If I ever did another I sure would learn from the mistakes I made with this one LOL and there are more than a few

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a yorkie, she is never outside without me. Owls, fox, hawks and a pond lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze addy you need 6 eyes and have to add ones to the back of you head and on the top of your head too LOL

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I had a Yorkie once, loved that dog. If Addies is anything like mine was, it never left my side. 5 lbs of joy.

Ask a Question