Worm-like "things"

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 50 gallon tank I set up last October for an apple snail I found in my pond. I also added some ramhorns snails also from my pond. Then, because snails are not to exciting to watch I got 4 feeder goldfish.

I noticed that when you look very closely in the water there are hundreds of white-ish "things" floating around. They are about the diameter of a hair and about 1/8" to 1/4" long. I know they are alive because they twitch back and forth. What the heck are they??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the replay but they aren't mosquito larvae. This problem is in an indoor aquarium. These things have no head that I can see. They look like a 1/4" piece of hair! And they move on their own.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Might be Arrow worms. These are planktonic and are 5 - 10 mm in size.
arworm5b.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for replying again.

This could be them! Are they harmful? Since I've moved the fish and snails to my pond there is nothing in my aquarium right now even though the filter and airstone is still running.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The fish were probably keeping the worm population under control. Now that you have removed the fish, there is no predation and the worms and other zoo-plankton can multiply.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I guess I'll let them live their little Arrow Worms lives....at least until October when the fish will be back in there.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
LOL you PUT snails in your tank, we bought clown loches to get rid of snails, we had tons, we have none now as the clowns made quick work out of them and cleared it in a few weeks

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ramshorn snails were from my pond. It gets real cold up here in Mass and I felt bad for them. hahaha They were fascinating to watch during the long, LONG winter. They are back in the pond now.

Ask a Question