Worms in my mechanical filter - identify and destroy (trigger warning - worm photos)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Are these something that pets/humans can catch from the pond water (I've been putting my arm in there with minor cuts/scrapes and I'm now having a minor anxiety meltdown)? Will the fish (fancy guppies) in the pond carry them? If so, how do I treat the fish? Can/should I kill them in the pond water itself? If so, how? There were three (that I found/removed) in my foam media filter pad in the box filter in the bottom of the pond. From Googling, I *think* they are Horsehair worms, and come from crickets, which I have pulled out of the pond when skimming. If so, I think they are harmless, but still, I have a minor phobia and really would prefer they not be in there at all, so what chemicals can I use in the water that will kill them and ABSOLUTELY NOT harm the neighbor's cats who drink from the pond? Also, I need to know if I can be infected as if so I need to reach out to my healthcare provider for treatment, and if cats can be infected as if so I need to inform my neighbor that his cats need treatment. What a mess! Help!

(images should be attached)

Attachments

• 20191029_161917.jpg
    20191029_161917.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20191029_161920.jpg
    20191029_161920.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 20191029_162042.jpg
    20191029_162042.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20191029_162047.jpg
    20191029_162047.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah - horsehair worms are weird creatures, but absolutely harmless to you, the cat or your fish. I wouldn't worry about trying to eliminate them. If you find one & want to remove/relocate it, that's fine, but putting anything in the water to try & kill them will probably do more harm than good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yeah - horsehair worms are weird creatures, but absolutely harmless to you, the cat or your fish. I wouldn't worry about trying to eliminate them. If you find one & want to remove/relocate it, that's fine, but putting anything in the water to try & kill them will probably do more harm than good.

Cool, so long as I know for sure they are 100% harmless to me and the cats, I'm OK with them, I guess. I guess I will have to start buying a new filter mat every few months, as it's difficult to get them out of the one I've been rinsing and reusing. I have other bio-media, so don't need the mat for bacteria growth. Wasteful, but seems like the only way to manage it? That's what I did, I relocated them to the dirt behind the house's foundation. I assumed they would probably not die there, but if they are aquatic, maybe they will?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey @Phaewryn how'd ya get that weather thingy? We used to have them here but then they would not work. Yours looks different then the old kind we had from Weather Underground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hey @Phaewryn how'd ya get that weather thingy? We used to have them here but then they would not work. Yours looks different then the old kind we had from Weather Underground.

Oh I am just really good at stealing things. I found a working one on another forum and copied the code, edited it and voilà (it does seem to be working, as the temp has gone up since I added it to my signature)! Here's the code, just edit it to your weather station code, city, state (you can also replace the "blueglass" with "bluestripe" if you like stripes more):
Code:
 [IMG]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KVSF&ForcedCity=Springfield&ForcedState=VT[/IMG]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah! Now I got it!

@j.w I added the "K" in front of ORD for O'Hare airport and it worked. Not sure what that means, but it was one of my choices for airport codes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Can somebody help me before I go crazy,lol! My city is Arlington, Wa. 98223 and I can't get the right code for some reason. If you can find my code let me know. I have tried everything.

I tried this:
wxBanner
But it only ends up w/the name and no temps, etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lord have mercy.................I finally did it yahoooooooooooooooooo!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes but I went through Hell to get there,lol! I tried all kinds of different things. Then I noticed I had { instead of ] on the ends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I found one other "design" as well:
wxBanner

Code:
Code:
http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes&airportcode=KVSF&ForcedCity=Springfield&ForcedState=VT

Ask a Question