Worms in Pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok, so I have started using Red Wigglers to compost my kitchen waste. The Texas heat has zapped them and fried them.

My neighbors had a pump filled with smaller red worms. They looked like the Red Wigglers I use for composting but alot smaller.

Does anyone know if those red small worms are the same thing?

Just curious and thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a tub of red wigglers, they sure do go through the food waste, i.e. veg waste. I put them on the deck for the summer, between the hot tub and the house. This way they only get a little bit of direct sun so they don't overheat. In the winter they have to come in, we get too cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone, addy1, I don't think I can leave mine outside in this Texas heat. As the insurance guy says on the Progressive commercial. "Like a sauuuuuuna in here"

So what do midge flies even look like? Do the dragon flies eat these when they hatch or something? How in the heck do they get in the pump?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have hit 99 so far this summer, the lil wormies are doing great, eating like pigs. I think them not getting direct sun makes the heat just fine for them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They look like mosquitoes and can bite like mosquitoes. I have a ton of the little baby worms in my pumps, in my hoses and under every rock. The fish do love them and quickly destroy any they can get to. You can actually buy frozen blood worms from the local nursery to provide fish treats. I prefer to let them eat them naturally from the pond. I like to think that once they go from larva (worms) to pupa (where they are free swimming in the pond) they are all eaten up by all my fish before entering life in the air.

Midge-008.jpg

MIDGE.jpg

Ask a Question