Worried I’ve done my wildlife pond wrong. Photos.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I’m in the uk and decided to do a wildlife pond. I was reading a book on wildlife ponds so followed that advice about putting soil in the bottom of the pond. I did this but now I’m worried I shouldn’t have done that. Online kind of says not to. If I’ve done it wrong I’m going to have to empty it and get the soil out. As you can see from the photo, I’m new to this and I haven’t yet sorted the edging of the pond. I also plan to get a solar water feature to help the water move, I’m also going to put plants in it. So what do you think? Have I done it wrong or am I just being impatient?

Attachments

• ABA2659F-BAAF-47A9-B5C9-43CC1DF05B5B.jpeg
    ABA2659F-BAAF-47A9-B5C9-43CC1DF05B5B.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 68
  • C1485F70-0F02-49FE-979B-8AF9C23F1598.jpeg
    C1485F70-0F02-49FE-979B-8AF9C23F1598.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 67

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

The dirt might settle, I have only used kitty litter, pure clay, for my plants. All in pots not on the bottom.
I have not read about using dirt for a wildlife pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :). Your pond is a pretty shape and the surrounding plantings are very nice. You could watch and wait, to see if it settles, if it doesn't then drain it and remove the soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think it will settle and you’ll be fine. If it’s still cloudy after a week or so, then you can always do a water change to get out the suspended solids but leave the soil that has settled on the bottom for plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First question do you plan on having fish ? more specifically koi or other large species ? if you do plan on them your pond will never be clear with the soils on the bottom.

You could plant the bottom with some aquarium micro sword see if it survives.

All in all i would drain it and remove the soil. Like was mentioned above remove the soil and install just a thin layer of stone. The entire idea of having plants in the pond at least what we preach here is to have the plants get lITTLE to NO nutrients from the soil Plants thus have to get the food from the water column. which is where string algae gets it's nutrients from. Thus it out competes the negative algaes from getting any food.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all. No, I’m not having fish. Looks like I’m going to have to empty it and get the soil out. Don’t think that’s going to be easy!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks all. No, I’m not having fish. Looks like I’m going to have to empty it and get the soil out. Don’t think that’s going to be easy!
But in the long run you will have one really nice wildlife pond. Mine is a fish / wildlife pond. The wildlife came as the water went in. And more shows up every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
First question do you plan on having fish ? more specifically koi or other large species ? if you do plan on them your pond will never be clear with the soils on the bottom.

You could plant the bottom with some aquarium micro sword see if it survives.

All in all i would drain it and remove the soil. Like was mentioned above remove the soil and install just a thin layer of stone. The entire idea of having plants in the pond at least what we preach here is to have the plants get lITTLE to NO nutrients from the soil Plants thus have to get the food from the water column. which is where string algae gets it's nutrients from. Thus it out competes the negative algaes from getting any food.

this.

I did a thin layer of pea gravel, planted plants directly into that and are doing fine. Another thing about soil is it will lead to excess nutrients in the water. In a matter of days…in the middle of summer and no filter..you’re gonna have a massive algae bloom on your hands. Hopefully it’s not too much soil but scoop it out and use it for some land area plantings. Take a look at my pics…the pond loaded with plants is a wildlife pond. No dirt. Except for the dirt in pots for lilies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Theres always the oposite approach stur it all up in a big time use a pond vav. And or an external pump and suck the water out of the pond. Do that a couple times and it may be enough . Well call that approach the lazy mans lobster.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How much dirt did you put in? If just a little bit, it will settle out and will give your submerged plants a place to take route. If it’s a lot of dirt, you can either leave it or take it out, BUT I strongly recommend something for water movement — a small pump fountain would be nice. Non-moving water will become stagnant and stinky. Just MHO.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've only kept ponds here (Canada) but have seen many garden ponds in Europe, every one of which had soil on the bottom! Give it time to settle before adding a pump, and don't overdo the circulation. Remember, every natural pond has soil in it! Good luck.
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here’s an update photo! After several hours of work I’ve got it looking better! Had to empty the dirty pond water with a bucket, remove the mud, wash it out and have put pebbles in the bottom. I’ve just got to get the plants and sort the black fabric edging out.

Attachments

• AB0905E1-956E-4B12-9EB7-E4357EDAE7B9.jpeg
    AB0905E1-956E-4B12-9EB7-E4357EDAE7B9.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 969A357B-198C-4667-B035-D8A63B782609.jpeg
    969A357B-198C-4667-B035-D8A63B782609.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 49

Ask a Question