wot to use for fines

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Home depot and Lowe's have several different types of furnace filter material real inexpensive, and you can cut it fit most anywhere you may need it. You can get a avrietion of course and fine filter material. In my trickle/boi-filter, I have four different types of layered filter material from real course to real fine. The course material is on top, and the finest on the bottom layer. Works quite well and you don't have spend much for this furnace filter material.

There's nothing like doing it yourself at a lower cost.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
Can you hose out and re-use the furnace filters? Are you using the fiberglass ones, paper, or what?

I've used quilt batting. It's cheap and can be reused, though cleaning it is a bit labor intensive. I've also heard of people using chamois cloth meant for polishing your car.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yep, i use fiber fill or batting too... but i built a fines filter thats its own system i run it a for a couple days every 2 or 3 weeks.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I stole koiguys idea a couple weeks ago and have noticed a hugh difference. Picked it up at the local Jo-Anns Fabrics store.

Reaction score
I didn't care much for quilt batting. definitely caught the fines, but like others have said very labor intensive to clean. plus, i think some brands may have some kind of coating, e.g. fire resistant, etc. that could be harmful to fish. can't say for sure.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Walmart has cheap pillow stuffing (fiber fill) big bag is like $4.00 and it works real well and is easily cleaned. (you dont have to make it clean white again just get the crud out).. i use an old tetrapond pf1 filter for my fines filter... i leave a 100gph pump inside the pond and the hose ran up... whenever i want to run the fines filter i just set the filter there and slide on the hose and turn it on, in a days time it will really make the water crystal clear of floating particles anyways.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 003 (2).JPG
    003 (2).JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 316
Reaction score
I use the pads for the big floor buffers. I cut them up into large chunks the tossed them into my 150 gallon skippy filter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
kirscp said:
I use the pads for the big floor buffers. I cut them up into large chunks the tossed them into my 150 gallon skippy filter.

thats great, i use scrubby pads, furnace filter pads, and floor scrubber pads too...good bio/mechanical media. but running fines filtration is trapping tiny or fine suspended particals that your filter misses .

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that late last summer I found a solution for the quilt batting labor problem. It's called a washing machine. :rolleyes: Gentle cycle on my front loader with an extra rinse seems to get the batting cleaner and do a lot less damage than using the hose. It's also a LOT less work. This does make the machine smell a little like a pond, but I've never had the odor transfer to subsequent loads.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yea sure my wife would kill me ...:rolleyes: If she caught me
I just dump my pillow batting out and put in a new one it only cost $ 3
Trash man takes it away

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I would be worried about soap residue transfering somehow from the washing machine. I think I will just replace for $5 when needed.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I agree with koidaddy. Unless the filter medium is made of a firm material that won't fall apart easily when it is cleaned or rinsed, I would go ahead and spend a few bucks more for more filter material.

Happy ponding,

Ask a Question