Would a stone path under the liner help with maintenance?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am nearly complete building my pond. It occurred to me that it may be difficult to access the center, in case some maintenance is needed. I can buy an inflatable raft. One solution I considered is putting some 1x1 ft square paver stones done in a line, then put the liner above it, then when I walk on the liner, it reduces the chance of damaging the liner. Do you think this will be of benefit to prevent the liner from being harmed while walking on it? I will buy 45 Mil EPDM liner with underlayment under that.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used cinder blocks to make “steps” inside my pond. Covered them with extra underlayment (including carpet scraps), under the liner. They helped this short lady get into and out of the pond. Never had any problems.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Walking on your liner won't damage it unless you wear your golf shoes! If the bottom of your pond will be somewhat level then I would just suggest wearing a pair of old socks as the liner can get very slippery. Putting a hard surface under the liner may actually cause a problem if a rock was to fall in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Hop-frog you have come up with some outside the box ideas, which is probably how this bog and epdm liner started. If your soils are so soft that you need pavers under the liner there is many other issues you'll have to work out. As stated above some myself included have made steps leading to the deep end. But make no mistake about it Everything will get some algae on it and a course flat rock is much easier to walk on then is a rubber liner that is pitched toward the bottom . Would i ever consider it outside the liner Probably would not be my first resolution to a problem. The way to do this would be is in your excavation to create these steps with a shovel like small benches but not to small. and for the best results is to have your rock on hand and know the size and shape for an easy fitment. Instal the underlayment , the liner, and then more underlayment preferably all bunched and rolled up so the rocks when they are set are not on the liner but have a nice cushion to sit on and no matter how many times they may shift, get stepped on even deliberately moved in setting they do not puncture the liner . You tube is beyond a resourceful tool where many show as well as describe what they are doing and why.

You were here last week talking about two ponds to one bog have you picked a design your proceeding with ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ground under the pond is quite soft. No rocks anywhere. I thought the under-layment is meant to help address problems related to shifting ground. Is that insufficient below the EPDM liner?

Yes, the design is quite settled as both ponds are nearing completion. I'm waiting delivery of some materials, plus want to rebuild a few areas where I'm dissatisfied with the alignment of the masonry.

I could not find any solution to linking both ponds to the wetland-filter. My current plan is to divide the wetland-filter into 5 segments, and plumb the large pond through 4 segments and the small pond through the 5th. The wetland-filter will still take a month to construct, so I have time to make adjustments.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Underlay is to protect the liner from any sharp stones or roots under the liner. It will not prevent the liner form shifting. Thats the reason we tell people do NOT trim any excess liner. If the ground does settle, the liner will pull in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the bottom is soft as in SOUPY or just like fluffy topsoil . you will need to fix that the soil needs to be firm and compacted. yes you can use concrete block / brick /pavers to do the job . But soft soils down deep are a challenge as there's probably going to be water or something that will continuously be shifting and stretching the liner a layer of compacted 3/4" stone 6" thick with a layer of 2 to 4" of sand will do the job nicely

Ask a Question