Would I be able to put a pond here?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I am a fish tank hobbyist and all winter I planned on putting in a small pond for my family to enjoy. (I am actually 16 but noone in my family knows stuff about fish lol) I work and have money to purchase items and my parents have agreed to help pay for some stuff. I have looked up lots of pond builds but I wanted to make my own in our patio.

I originally planned to make it in ground and just dig a hole and put a pool liner in there, but the only location I would be allowed to dig in is pretty far away from the house, so we decided to put it in our patio. Here I have a picture of our patio corner where we plan on putting it:http://imgur.com/KpF5A1n It is about 6 feet by 5 feet and those pots and flower stuff will be moved soon.

Anyway, the pond is going to be above ground, but my question is: how will we put a pond here above ground? I have a basic idea and had a thought that we could just take some stone (in the shape/size of a cinderblock) and make a square around that area and just put a pond liner in there.

I am hoping this is going to be low tech so I only plan on adding a small water fall in the back and maybe a filter. (I plan on letting it just go wild).

For stock I plan on putting in some small koi, and currently I am raising some baby show orandas. I have 7.

Would putting some stones around the edge, in total making the pond about 2-3 feet deep. I didn't know if the bricks on the bottom would scratch the pond liner or if it would catch on the bricks I was hoping to put on the side. Thanks all!

-John

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
That looks like a perfect place for a small pond. Yes you definitely want some type of filtration, a small box filter with a fountain attachment would work well. But please note, there's no such thing as 'small koi', they grow big and fast and will quickly outgrow the small pond you're planning. I think pre-formed will be your best bet for now. Check your craiglist, my father sold his entire set-up, pond filter UV and fountain for 60$ a couple years ago after he tired of it. Here's an example from my area..
http://reno.craigslist.org/for/5521578519.html

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
My first pond was a 150 gallon preformed . I hate to admit I kept koi in it all the way to the point of when I expanded to 2500 gallons. That being said is NOT testimonial to condone it though. I lost dozens of fish over the years and keeping water quality up to par was a constant battle that I lost about once a year with a few dead fish. I learned alot over those years and the biggest thing was that koi belong in nothing less then 2000 gallon well filtered well kept ponds. In the 8 years I've had this pond I lost 3 fish, 2 of them koi and one huge cat and that happened overnight. I believe it was bad food as there were no other sick fish and the 3 lost were my biggest eaters. Find a new proper home for your "small koi" don't try to keep them till yiu have something bigger.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so no Koi it is. Not even the small "koi" that petsmart sells?

I really didn't want the preform, but I wanted to just take some bricks or the stones and make a square. If I go that route and put a pond liner in there would it be safe and not get torn?

I'm considering going preform, but can someone answer my question up there^

Also if I did do the preform I would need it to be above ground.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
A small koi is a baby koi the same as a small calf is just a baby cow. There is a pervasive myth about fish that a fish only gets as big as its surroundings. That's partially true in the same way that a calf kept in a small enclosure in poor conditions will be stunted from disease and malnutrition.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes you could use a liner in the way you asked. A preformed can be used above ground or below .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I think I will save this for a later time. Now that I know this information.

What I did instead is went to lowes and got some old whiskey barrels and I will put some plants in there and fill it with water and maybe put some mollies/guppies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My first pond was a 150 gallon preformed . I hate to admit I kept koi in it all the way to the point of when I expanded to 2500 gallons. That being said is NOT testimonial to condone it though. I lost dozens of fish over the years and keeping water quality up to par was a constant battle that I lost about once a year with a few dead fish. I learned alot over those years and the biggest thing was that koi belong in nothing less then 2000 gallon well filtered well kept ponds. In the 8 years I've had this pond I lost 3 fish, 2 of them koi and one huge cat and that happened overnight. I believe it was bad food as there were no other sick fish and the 3 lost were my biggest eaters. Find a new proper home for your "small koi" don't try to keep them till yiu have something bigger.

Oh how awful......a cat drown in your pond overnight ? :(

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cmon now tula, a cat (fish) maybe? o_O
But looking back at that post I can see where ya might have thought chinese food type CAT

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pond water stays warm enough for a catfish species?

Channel cat,flatheads,blue cat,mud cat etc are all native catfish species all the way up into yiur part of the world. You could keep them to. The species I had was a channel cat ,bought him at walmart!

Ask a Question