Would it be possible to take a sand filter made for a swimming pool and turn it into a 3 stage filt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm so new, I have no idea how this works so if I'm repeating myself I apologize, I am just wondering if there is any way I can turn a sand filter made for a swimming pool into a three stage filter system for my Koi pond. We've had the pond now, this will be the fourth season I've been battling with the filtration system for that long we use the same sand as was specified for the swimming pool now obviously it doesn't work the same as with the fish. I love the pond but the maintenance is overwhelming and I keep getting outvoted when it comes to doing something else with the media. Please help

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Swimming pool sand filters are not recommended for ponds, for, as you already know, they clog very easily.

What size is your pond (capacity)? Approximate water surface area (sq,ft,)?
Fish? What kind? how many? What size pump do you presently use (gph)?

Sand filters are not usually converted because the inner workings are different than that of a fish pond pressurized filter. Three stage filtration is not always an absolute necessity, but it is the ideal configuration. The label put on this filtration means what it says.......three (3) stages, typically separate units.

Answer the above questions and we will recommend some options.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It involves some work, but my husband built a sand and gravel filter for our pond and it's working very well. It has 4 levels of filter material, going from small rocks, finer gravel, then finer and lastly a coarse "sand" or granite chicken grit.

It's easy to back wash and has reduced our pond maintenance. Another consideration is aesthetics, or hiding it, as ours is in a 55 gallon barrel.

Last edited:

Ask a Question