Would it speed up the process if I "seeded" a new bog filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm in the very early stages of adding a bog to my pond. It's going to take a while due to the weather, the virus stay-at-home restrictions and I'm just not the young bull I used to be!

I currently have two pressure filters I want to get rid of.

Once the bog is ready to go and before adding the gravel, should I scoop out some muck from inside the pressure filters and toss it in the bottom? Will that help get the bog up to speed faster?
What about dumping the bio balls from the filters in before the gravel? So, I'll have bio balls permanently under the gravel? Good? bad?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have an answer to your question, but am interested in the answer. I ordered some water plants April 4th from William Trickers. I forgot to ask when they'll arrive, so I called them today......not till between mid to late May......I was a bit deflated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't have an answer to your question, but am interested in the answer. I ordered some water plants April 4th from William Trickers. I forgot to ask when they'll arrive, so I called them today......not till between mid to late May......I was a bit deflated.
Is the delay due to sending them at the proper date concerning weather or temperature? Or just backlogged or maybe out of stock?

It's frustrating this time of year. We want to get the pond jump started and sometimes we just have to grin and bear it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are the pressure filters in operation now? If so, why not keep them going until the bog gets up and running that way you get the best of both (if you can call pressure filters 'best' !) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Are the pressure filters in operation now? If so, why not keep them going until the bog gets up and running that way you get the best of both (if you can call pressure filters 'best' !) :)
Yes, I just started up the pressure filters a week ago. So, by the time I finish the bog, I think the filters should be full swing as far as beneficial bacteria.

I can't run the filters and bog at the same time. I only have one big pump and one 25 ft. 1-1/2" flex pvc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Is the delay due to sending them at the proper date concerning weather or temperature? Or just backlogged or maybe out of stock?

It's frustrating this time of year. We want to get the pond jump started and sometimes we just have to grin and bear it.
They said their shipping schedule is based on weather. I was kind of surprised as I ordered hardy plants ....oh well, it gives me something to look forward to !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, whenever I order plants online I always have to wait for the "right time" for shipping to my area.
I guess they want to make sure they are OK. The plants are probably a little stressed and have to survive shipping too.

Ask a Question