Would like a little help!!!

Reaction score
I currently have 1000 gal pond and am currently building a much larger pond. The new pond is 14 ft x 16 ft x 5 ft deep. I am hand digging this out. I enjoy the work. I will have a 2 waterfalls and about 8 to 10 feet of stream. This will be a 2 pump system 1 for waterfall and bottom drains ( gravity fed ) and 1 for circulation. Estimated pumping capabilities 16000 gal per hour. Estimating a 4600 gal pond with 1200 more in filtration. looking for circ rate of about 1.5 to 2 times per hour.
I intend on using 4 tanks, a settlement tank, tied to a vortex tied to a bio filter and then tied to a polishing chamber. Each should be about 3 x 3 x 3 ft chamber. May be overkill , but have the room and think this will give me plenty o filtration.
My question(s) is this: I have thought about using fiberglass for the chambers. since the weight of this would be avout 1800 lbs / tank, how thick should the walls be ( the chambers will be underground) ? Does any one know how to calculate this? Or is there a better method for these tanks?
I am still in design phase on this section of the pond so I can go any way.
But I think this is one of the better ways to handle the filtration of my pond.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
iI realized that I forgot a few things when I first posted. I willl have a skimmer oppposite the water falls.
I know that the pumps may not be as large as I say, but I want to plan for more than I need.. Cost reduction is key!!!! I have so much I want to do, but only so much in funds.
I will have oxygen pumped into pond. I will use a waterwheel to drive the pump. I may try to put a bog next to it, but first I want to get the pond up and running.
My goal is to have this completed by March/April of 09.
I am using a lot of things I have around the house to make this pond. Ford Air pump, Old Slide from kids playground for stream and waterfall. Stuff like that.

Will post pics when I can.

As I am hand digging this thing out, I am at the halfway point.
I am in the South and we have had no rain for a while. I hit layer s of Clay then old topsoil then more clay a rock layer thin smaller type shale. I guess from when the house was built.
But, I shall keep on digging.
Oh yeah I am new to this site.
Thanks for any help, suggestions comments all are welcome.

Reaction score
I see that not many people have any ideas:grumble: But int he interum I have decided that I am going to use concrete to form my chambers and the wall between them and the pond. Then cover them with EDPM. This will insure that I can keep the fish safe :eek: and I will not have to worry about the static pressures of the water in the chambers.:icon_mrgreen:

I have been :cold: against the wall over this one. But I think that this is the best way in the long run. Probably the most cost effective as well. I don"t have to worry about lime leaching from the concrete by covering them with the EDPM.

ANy thoughts suggestions of how they will be built or sage advice about using this type of filtration would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance for your comments. help advice anything you wish to offer.
Charlie

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
welcome to the forum ceejay...i never had a in ground filter..but your new pond will be my size....how do you drain, or back flush a filter llike that ?? I have 2- 55 gal drum filters that work well.and are easy to clean

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum! DrCase, many others and I all use the Skippy style bio filter. We also use the 55 gallon drum construction and it works great.

People have to ask in order to get current constuction advice. If you search deep into the Forum, you will find lots of it.

Post some construction pictures.

Reaction score
I currently have 1000 gal pond and am currently building a much larger pond. The new pond is 14 ft x 16 ft x 5 ft deep. I am hand digging this out. I enjoy the work. I will have a 2 waterfalls and about 8 to 10 feet of stream. This will be a 2 pump system 1 for waterfall and bottom drains ( gravity fed ) and 1 for circulation. Estimated pumping capabilities 16000 gal per hour. Estimating a 4600 gal pond with 1200 more in filtration. looking for circ rate of about 1.5 to 2 times per hour.
I intend on using 4 tanks, a settlement tank, tied to a vortex tied to a bio filter and then tied to a polishing chamber. Each should be about 3 x 3 x 3 ft chamber. May be overkill , but have the room and think this will give me plenty o filtration.
My question(s) is this: I have thought about using fiberglass for the chambers. since the weight of this would be avout 1800 lbs / tank, how thick should the walls be ( the chambers will be underground) ? Does any one know how to calculate this? Or is there a better method for these tanks?
I am still in design phase on this section of the pond so I can go any way.
But I think this is one of the better ways to handle the filtration of my pond.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks

:banghead3:
Very nice! you are a hard working man. You want to know some questions. Because i am not a professional but i will give you a suggest that get some advice from any professional pond builder in your nearby. And also check this site its have very nice calculations for newbie pond builders. Like how many fishes in how much area? and koi food economical Q&A etc.
http://www.practical-water-gardens.com/sitedirectorycalculators.htm
Check and reply me.

Reaction score
There is a pond store here in indiana, mooresville I beleive that can help you calculate this. they have a couple of huge ponds on their property and have all sorts of filtration from bio-falls to a secondary pond as an actual filter. their web site is aquaticdesign.net. I do beleive they can help via email or at least direct you to someone in your area that can help.

Ask a Question