Would love some info how to get rid of a watersnake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
LOL! Yeah, garter snakes are quite 'smelly' when they want to be left alone. :sneaky:

Per one website: Garter snakes have musk glands that produce a pungent, foul smelling substance. A garter snake will release the contents of its musk glands as well as the contents of its cloaca (a common chamber that contains wastes from the digestive tract, excretions from the kidneys and reproductive products) and smear this pungent mixture on themselves and their attackers. As if this is not enough to discourage the predator, garter snakes can also regurgitate the contents of its stomach onto itself and its attacker. Quite an interesting array of deterrents!

Still, all in all, I do love my resident snakes.
Ooo, thanks for the info! Interesting! I suppose letting him go was probably the best thing to do, then!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
darn where do you live the land of the lost wheres tge slestacks
That's just one. I'm in Oklahoma, where the wind blows all the Texas sized bugs up for them to eat. Sad thing is, I know where bigger frogs live! That one is big, but there area few giant ones that live in a pond just about a mile from here. With few predators, they get plenty to eat, and grow big.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No thank you very much @GBBUDD I'll stick w/my squirmy little fakers. I remember when @sissy was on her riding mower one Summer and got attacked by one of those big black rat snakes. It was awful!

1590708080259.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh gosh JW I still have scars on my leg from it and guessing the gas station I had to stop at will never forget the towel around my leg all full of blood .I needed gas or would not make it to the hospital .I have been bitten 3 times here by snakes since 2004 and grew up on a farm and never bitten by one in NJ .Everyone kept telling me it had to be another kind of snake at the hospital and sent cops here to make sure .I guess I just meant him on a bad day and his day turned out worse than mine .Cops just found pieces they put in a bag to bring to the hospital

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We were all so sorry for you that day @sissy as it was such a horrid thing to happen. I remember you ran over the snake w/your mower right?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep left him in pieces on the lawn ,I could not get away from him or her .I had no choice but to kill it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sad to say I used the lawnmower blades as a weapon .He jumped up at me several times in the attack ,No one had ever seen it happen like that before .I was out in the middle of the lawn and did not see it until it jumped at me .They raise attack snakes here .The scar has gotten better since using the hemp seed cream .Used to see a red mark down my leg but now just very faint pink .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to use mothballs in my sheds and basement and mothballs are not cheap anymore .I hope she can find someone to get rid of the water snake ,I know i would not be happy if I saw one in my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
If I ever see a water snake in my pond I'm getting out the 10 gauge shotgun and blasting everything to oblivion then finishing it off with a flame thrower! Snakes = NOPE, NOT MY HOBBY ANYMORE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And here I am putting a pond in where the snakes are. I’ve got to get my pond finished so I can sit in it and zen, unless I get venomous snakes, then I’ll have to patch the bullet holes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...one of the reasons it's good to live in the UK, no snakes in my pond cos it's too darn cold and rainy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Come on people the worst it can do is break the skin . Look at it this way put your hand out it grabs a finger you chop its head off. End of story

Ask a Question