Would there be any benefit to sloping the pond bottom?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess this is a dumb question, but here goes.....

My pond has multiple levels, sort of like steps, which end up at 4' depth. No BD.

We are in the process of a renovation, so the pond is down, liner out, etc. [and so far, that's all going great -- knock on wood]. The 4' section is sort of triangle-shaped with the wide bottom of the triangle at the pond edge.

image.jpg
Since now is the time to do it, what about sloping that section toward the edge -- wide end deeper than pointed end?? I'm thinking that debris would collect in the deepest part, making it easier to clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you put a bottom drain in it would be very beneficial to you to have a sloping pond then all the detritus would go down the slope and be taken away from the pond leaving the floor of the pond clean and clear of detritus

Dave

Reaction score
My pond has pretty good flow but plenty of debris collects on the 2' level and the 3' level because they are not sloped. In fact I made the mistake of leaving a slight lip at the edge so make it a bit harder for the plant pots etc to accidentally fall into the deep end. If you were going to slope only the 4' section I dont think it would make much of a difference. You would want to slope each section.

Also, where is your pump located?

Reaction score
I have "sloped" my pond and it has been working well for years :)

Ask a Question