Would this storage bin work as a container pond?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I was just browsing the Home depot website and found this storage bin for sale; https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX55GONLINE-4/205597365

I understand that most storage bins are not suitable for water gardens because they will bow severely when more than half full with water, but this one seems to be rather tough; in addition, it is much cheaper than a similarly sized rubber water trough, and its black color would facilitate keeping tropical water lilies in it during the summer. Would this work as an above ground water garden? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My experience with all of these plastic totes is that they will degrade quickly if exposed to sunlight. Once they get brittle they will crack and you're left with just a big mess. We used this exact tote to do some temporary garden beds one year - didn't even last the whole summer. Get something that's designed for outdoor exposure unless you want to be constantly replacing it. Spend a bit more now to save a whole lot later.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got ours on craigslist, 1000 gallon and 300 gallon for 200 watch the ads

DenniMac

Dogs, Cattle, Horses, Cats, & Fish? (Oh My)!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b (approx)., N Ca., Napa County Area
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I was just browsing the Home depot website and found this storage bin for sale; https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-55-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX55GONLINE-4/205597365

I understand that most storage bins are not suitable for water gardens because they will bow severely when more than half full with water, but this one seems to be rather tough; in addition, it is much cheaper than a similarly sized rubber water trough, and its black color would facilitate keeping tropical water lilies in it during the summer. Would this work as an above ground water garden? Thanks :)
I bought a heavy duty Tuff Stuff stock tank tank 550 g, to use as a pond, but one side bowed out a lot, when filled. Idk if a storage container from Home Depot would work, either in or above ground. Please keep posting!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like Rubbermaid stock tanks. They are solid! My experience with “totes” is that the sides will tend to bow out from the pressure of the water.

Ask a Question