Would this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am a newbie, about to be, first-time pond builder. I have the following equipment:

Oase BioSys Skimmer
Auto Clean Pressurised filter (All pond solutions Auto-PFC 12000) with a 11w UV (this will be sunken)
Aqua Evolution varipump 10,000 (this will be sunken outside of the pond)
2 in 1 waterfall box/filter ( 2 foam filters and bio balls)
eco-filtration 4" bottom Drain

As the pond will only have goldfish approx 6 - 8 is a bottom drain necessary? If so will it need to feed into a filter before flow arrives at the pump (see dotted line diagram) or can it flow straight into the pump? My thinking is as the large debris - leaves etc - will be taken care of by the skimmer and caught in the basket within all that would be drawn into the pump would be excrement, algae and some food, so nothing that should cause much of an issue for the pump; am I right?

However, if I'm wrong could the bottom drain either on its own or along with the skimmer drain, be piped to a separate filter (sponge and bio media) before being piped to the pump?

I am on a tight budget and close to my limit already.

I appreciate there will be the Rolls Royce version of a garden pond and I am not looking to be flippant, just to have a working system that provides a good level of filtration and water quality. Any advice as to how I can effectively utilise what I have would be gratefully received. I have seen a separate top-fed bottom outlet filter that is suitable for up to 7,000 ltr pond so if necessary I would purchase that to filter the BD and/or skimmer.

I look forward to any help and advice.

Keith

Would this work.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our Forum!

As the pond will only have goldfish approx 6 - 8 is a bottom drain necessary?
I don't have a bottom drain and my pond does great.

I have a skimmer it does not collect much since my big maple tree died.

I use a external pump, have a leaf basket before the pump. Never empty it all summer. Water draw is about 1 foot from the bottom.

Look into building a bog, pvc pipes, pea gravel and plants. That is all I use to filter my 11 ponds with. A bog makes it so your pond almost runs itself. I can turn my pond on and ignore it all summer if I want to. A lot of pond peeps on the forum have converted to bog filtering. Some have built them a lot more elaborate than mine. Mine is basic pipe gravel plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @KeithG !

No need for a bottom drain with goldfish - or any fish, really. Bottom drains are popular in dedicated koi ponds that require high levels of filtration. Goldfish will be fine without it, and it will save you time, money and the hassle of having to install it.

Keep things as simple as possible - you'll be glad you did. Pump, skimmer, filtration of some kind, and waterfall are all you really need. Add bog filtration and you can avoid the pressurized filter as well... another savings! And it adds to the beauty of your pond rather than give you another thing you have to conceal!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Way too complicated in my opinion. All that equipment will cost a fortune and you will quickly get tired of the constant maintenance. Constant cleaning of filter pads, etc will get old quick.

The more piping, fittings, etc. you have, the more chance for a leak and if you're in a climate that has freezing winters, you'll need to drain all that piping.

Take addys advice and look into bog filtration. That's what I did and it's the best thing I've done for my pond.
Here's my bog add-on...(inspired by addy)..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome @KeithG !

No need for a bottom drain with goldfish - or any fish, really. Bottom drains are popular in dedicated koi ponds that require high levels of filtration. Goldfish will be fine without it, and it will save you time, money and the hassle of having to install it.

Keep things as simple as possible - you'll be glad you did. Pump, skimmer, filtration of some kind, and waterfall are all you really need. Add bog filtration and you can avoid the pressurized filter as well... another savings! And it adds to the beauty of your pond rather than give you another thing you have to conceal!
All great points!
The bog will give superior filtration while appearing to look like just another planting area.

I don't use a skimmer. I had one years ago. It would constantly clog up and sometimes fish would get sucked into it.

I never felt the need for a bottom drain. I would think if there were any sizable leaves or other debris, the drain might also clog.
I just slowly run a net along the bottom in the Spring and Fall.
At the end of Summer, I put up a leaf net to keep the leaves out.

It's all up to you, but I suggest keeping it simple and efficient. A bog is a good way to do that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm definitely in the minority here and have a bottom drain in my pond. It keeps the bottom of the pond clean of fish waste and debris with no effort on my part.

I also have a skimmer to keep the surface clear of leaves.

I scoop out leaves with a skimmer net and cover the pond with a net when leaves are falling heavily. Any that manage to get past me and sink to the bottom I either net out if I see them, or they go through the bottom drain to the leaf basket attached to the front of the pump. There is no prefilter or sieve and there has never been a threat of a clog. The leaf basket is emptied when necessary which can be anywhere from once a week to months.

Obviously there are different opinions and everyone has their own preferences. As long as your method works for you and your pond, there is no right or wrong way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well, especially if time and money are a consideration, bog filtration certanly will help you. I echo all the above; I have no bottom drain, no UV, no skimmer, no filtration other than the bog, and am currently going on 125+ fish. Plants, and lots of them, combined with your bog filtration will take care of water quality. The waterfall will give you aeration (as well as from any bog overflow) and the largest investment should be your liner.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm definitely in the minority here and have a bottom drain in my pond. It keeps the bottom of the pond clean of fish waste and debris with no effort on my part.

I also have a skimmer to keep the surface clear of leaves.

I scoop out leaves with a skimmer net and cover the pond with a net when leaves are falling heavily. Any that manage to get past me and sink to the bottom I either net out if I see them, or they go through the bottom drain to the leaf basket attached to the front of the pump. There is no prefilter or sieve and there has never been a threat of a clog. The leaf basket is emptied when necessary which can be anywhere from once a week to months.

Obviously there are different opinions and everyone has their own preferences. As long as your method works for you and your pond, there is no right or wrong way.
Good prospective by someone that has both a skimmer and a bottom drain.
Yes, they are a matter of opinion, so you'll have to decide.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Absolutely a matter of choice on bottom drains and skimmers. It's just we far too often see people who assume that both are absolutely necessities in pond building, and they indeed are not - same with a box filter. Lots of ways to go!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1618077539942.gif
@KeithG
Mine is just a simple goldfish pond, no drain, no skimmer, no fancy filter, just a relaxing goldfish pond. Up to you whatever you do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Me my wife calls me Putz
I have the matrix bog
The peastone bog
Stream
Upper pond planted
Waterfalls
6 foot deep pond
Main drain
Skimmer
Negative edge
Cistern.
Check valves
Ball valves
Unions
Multiple pumps
Rocks and boulders
Epdm

Love the main drain for waste collection. But it also has sucked in cold or numb fish. If to big they have also gotten stuck to the drain even with two drains.

Skimmer is a helix they are great fish can swim right in to the floating wear and swim right out but if your water level fluctuates it's maintenance to keep up on.

Negative edge is great but I recently added goldfish comments and they just aren't to bright as they keep going over the falls to sh_t's creek " the last chance a small pool last chance for me to find them before the go over the final falls of heels gate and then I tried all over.
So as said above it's all in what works with your setup and your management. I travel alot and I have to rely on things taking care of them selves.
Putz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @KeithG !

Thank you Lisak1

I appreciate your comments and love the idea of a bog and will add one maybe next year, as I have all of the equipment already (pump, filter skimmer) so I can get the pond built this year and as my experience grows I will add a bog.

Thank you for your advice and help

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our Forum!

I don't have a bottom drain and my pond does great.

I have a skimmer it does not collect much since my big maple tree died.

I use a external pump, have a leaf basket before the pump. Never empty it all summer. Water draw is about 1 foot from the bottom.

Look into building a bog, pvc pipes, pea gravel and plants. That is all I use to filter my 11 ponds with. A bog makes it so your pond almost runs itself. I can turn my pond on and ignore it all summer if I want to. A lot of pond peeps on the forum have converted to bog filtering. Some have built them a lot more elaborate than mine. Mine is basic pipe gravel plants

Thanks Addy1

Very interesting. Certainly something I will attempt in a year or so once I've got some experience and a better understanding under my belt.

Very informative article, thank you.

Keith

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Way too complicated in my opinion. All that equipment will cost a fortune and you will quickly get tired of the constant maintenance. Constant cleaning of filter pads, etc will get old quick.

The more piping, fittings, etc. you have, the more chance for a leak and if you're in a climate that has freezing winters, you'll need to drain all that piping.

Take addys advice and look into bog filtration. That's what I did and it's the best thing I've done for my pond.
Here's my bog add-on...(inspired by addy)..

Hi Poconojoe

Thank you for your advice and the link to your bog build. I will look into one next year once I've got some experience and gained more knowledge.

I appreciate your straight forward answer (other forums people have gone into massive detail concerning equipment I don't have) and your advice.

I'm in the UK so winters are not really cold -5 or -6 at worst, so I don't envisage any freezing issues.

It looks like I'll ditch the bottom drain and just pipe the skimmer to the pump onto the filter and to the waterfall and positioned in such a way to make it easy to feed the bog when it is built.

Thank you once again for your concise reply.

Keith

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennicabailey

Latest Threads